Introduction to the epistemology of the brain: Indeterminacy, micro-specificity, chaos, and openness
- Jeffrey Foss
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Given that the mind is the brain, as materialists insist, those who would understand the mind must understand the brain. Assuming that arrays of neural firing frequencies are highly salient aspects of brain information processing (the vector functional account), four hurdles to an understanding of the brain are identified and inspected: indeterminacy, micro-specificity, chaos, and openness.
- Anderson, Per O.: 1987, ‘Properties of hippocampal synapses of importance for integration and memory’, in Edelmanet al. (1987), pp. 403–29.
- Churchland, Paul M.: 1989,A Neurocomputational Perspective: The Nature of Mind and the Structure of Science, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
- Donne, John: 1624,Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, London, Ch. XVII.
- Edelman, Gerald M., Gall, W. E., and Cowan, W. Maxwell (eds.): 1987,Synaptic Function, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Fodor, Jerry: 1977,The Language of Thought, Harvester Press, Sussex.
- Foss, Jeff: 1988, ‘The precept and vector function theories of the brain’,Philosophy of Science 55, 511–37. CrossRef
- Harrison, Robert G., and Biswas, Dhruba J.: 1986, ‘Chaos in light’,Nature 321, 394–99. CrossRef
- Hubel, D. H. and Wiesel, T. N.: 1959, ‘Receptive fields of single neurons in the cat's striate cortex’,Journal of Physiology 148, 574–91.
- Hubel, D. H. and Wiesel, T. N.: 1979, ‘Brain mechanisms of vision’,Scientific American 241, 150–62. CrossRef
- Koch, Christof and Poggio, Tomaso: 1987, ‘Biophysics of computation’, in Edelmanet al. (1987), pp. 637–98.
- Kuhn, Thomas S.: 1962,The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Laskar, J.: 1989, ‘A numerical experiment on the chaotic behaviour of the solar system’,Nature 338, 237–40. CrossRef
- Milani, Andrea: 1989, ‘Planetary orbits: emerging stability and chaos’,Nature 338, 207–8. CrossRef
- Pylyshyn, Zenon: 1984,Computation and Cognition: Toward a Foundation for Cognitive Science, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Rall, Wilfred, and Segev, Iden: 1987, ‘Functional possibilities for synapses on dendrites and dendritic spines’, in Edelmanet al. (1987), pp. 605–36.
- Rumelhart, David E. and McClelland, James L., with the PDP Research Group: 1986a,Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Rumelhart, David E. and McClelland, James L.: 1986b, ‘On learning the past tenses of English verbs’, in Rumelhart and McClelland (1986a).
- Sejnowski, T. and Rosenberg, C.: 1987, ‘Parallel networks that learn to pronounce English’,Complex Systems 1, 145–68.
- Introduction to the epistemology of the brain: Indeterminacy, micro-specificity, chaos, and openness
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 45-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Jeffrey Foss (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Victoria, Canada