A new approach to the mechanism of heterogeneously catalysed reactions: the oxydehydrogenation of ammonia at a Cu(111) surface
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The oxydehydrogenation of ammonia at a Cu(111) surface is a highly efficient process at 295 K, with the selectivity sensitive to the dioxygen-ammonia ratio. However, there is no evidence from either XPS or HREELS for surface oxygen being present during the reaction and, in effect, catalysis occurs at a clean Cu(111) surface. The rate of NH x (a) formation is indistinguishable from the rate of the dissociative chemisorption of oxygen at close to zero coverage suggesting that the reactive oxygen species are the hot transients O-(s). The chemisorbed oxygen overlayer, the O2-(a)-like species are, by comparison, unreactive. The reaction is, therefore, not characteristic of either Eley-Rideal or Langmuir-Hinshelwood mechanisms but involves the interaction of rapidly diffusing ammonia molecules and hot transient O-(s)-like species. Models for this type of reaction have been discussed previously, while very recent studies by scanning tunnelling microscopy have provided further evidence for such oxygen transients.
- B. Afsin, P.R. Davies, A. Pashuski and M.W. Roberts, Surf. Sci. 259 (1991) L724.
- C.T. Au and M.W. Roberts, Nature 319 (1986) 206; J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. I 83 (1987) 2047; M.W. Roberts, Chem. Soc. Rev. 18 (1989) 451; Catal. Today 12 (1992) 501.
- F. Carley, S. Yan and M.W. Roberts, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. I 86 (1990) 2701; J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. (1988) 267; A.F. Carley, M.W. Roberts and M. Tomellini, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. I 87 (1991) 3563.
- C.T. Au and M.W. Roberts, Chem. Phys. Lett. 74 (1980) 472.
- P.G. Blake and M.W. Roberts, Catal. Lett. 3 (1989) 379; M.W. Roberts, Appl. Surf. Sci. 52 (1991) 133.
- H. Brune, J. Wintterlin, R.J. Behm and G. Ertl. Phys. Rev. Lett. 68 (1992) 624.
- T. Au, Li Xing-chang, Tang Ji-an and M.W. Roberts, J. Catal. 106 (1987) 538; A.F. Carley and M.W. Roberts, J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. (1987) 355; C.T. Au, A.F. Carley and M.W. Roberts, Phil. Trans Roy. Soc. London A318 (1986) 61.
- M.W. Roberts, J. Mol. Catal. 74 (1992) 11.
- P.R. Davies, M.W. Roberts and D. Vincent, to be published.
- A new approach to the mechanism of heterogeneously catalysed reactions: the oxydehydrogenation of ammonia at a Cu(111) surface
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 345-350
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- surface oxygen transients
- Industry Sectors