HIV and serious mental illness: Reducing the risk
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Persons with SMI residing in community mental health center group homes received an educational intervention program on HIV/AIDS. As with virtually all such approaches provided for this population, the intervention was generalized from programs used with other populations, for example, users of intravenous drugs, gay men, and adolescents. Assessment of pre- and postintervention knowledge indicated no increase in accurate information. Further, consumers were initially uncertain regarding their risk for HIV infection; this attitude, too, remained unchanged. The research design employed did not compare persons with SMI with a normative sample receiving the same information, and assessed with the same instruments, limiting hypotheses about the generalizability of existing interventions. However, the data seems to suggest its potential inefficacy. Several findings are germane to effective educational intervention techniques.
- Baer, J.W., Dwyer, P.C., & Lewitter-Koehler, S. (1988). Knowledge about AIDS among psychiatric inpatients.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 986–988.
- Baldwin, J.D., & Baldwin, J.I. (1988). Factors affecting AIDS-related sexual risk-taking behavior among college students.The Journal of Sex Research, 25, 181–196.
- Baum, A., & Nesselhof, S.E.A. (1988). Psychological research and the prevention, etiology, and treatment of AIDS.American Psychologist, 43, 900–906.
- Bouton, R.A., Gallaher, P.E., Garlinghouse, P.A., Leal, T., Rosenstein, L.D., & Young, R.K. (1987). Scales for measuring fear of AIDS and homophobia.Journal of Personality Assessment, 51, 606–614.
- Blum, H.L. (1974).Planning for health: Development and application of social change theory New York: Human Sciences Press.
- Brady, S., Carmen, E., & Pillard, R. (Speakers) (1988).Sex, AIDS prevention, and the chronically mentally ill (Cassette Recording No. AD0001752). New York, NY: National Audio Video Transcript, Inc.
- Carmen, E., & Brady, S.M. (1990). AIDS risk prevention for the chronic mentally ill.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 6, 652–659.
- Centers for Disease Control. (1991, May),HIV/AIDS surveillance report, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Emmons, C.A., Joseph, J.G., Kessler, R.C., & Wortman, C.B. (1986). Psychosocial predictors of reported behavior change in homosexual men at risk for AIDS.Health Education Quarterly, 13, 331–345.
- Fisher, J.D. (1988). Possible effects of reference group-based social influence on AIDS-risk behavior and AIDS prevention.American Psychologist, 43, 914–920.
- Gallo, R.C. (1987). The AIDS virus.Scientific American, 256, 47–56.
- Goisman, R.M., Kent, A.B., Montgomery, E.C., Cheevers, M.M., & Goldfinger, S.M. (1991). AIDS education for patients with chronic mental illness.Community Mental Health Journal, 27, 189–197.
- Harvey, D.C. (1990).HIV and mental health institutions (Report No. 4). Washington, D.C.: National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems.
- Harvey, D.C., & Ardinger, R.S. (1990).Building coalitions to provide HIV legal advocacy services: Utilizing existing disability models (Report No. 5). Washington, D.C.: National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems.
- Harvey, D.C., & Trivelli, L.U. (1990).HIV education for persons with mental disabilities (Report No. 1). Washington, D.C.: National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems.
- Jeffery, R.W. (1989). Risk behaviors and health: Contrasting individual and population perspectives.American Psychologist, 45, 1194–1202.
- Joseph, J.G., Montgomery, S.B., Emmons, C.A., Kessler, R.C., Ostrow, D.G., Wortman, C.B., O'Brien, K., Eller, M., & Eshleman, S. (1987). Magnitude and determinants of behavioral risk-reduction: A longitudinal analysis of a cohort at risk for AIDS.Psychology and Health, 1, 73–96.
- Kelly, J.A., St. Lawrence, J.S., & Brasfield, T.L. (1991). Predictors of vulnerability to AIDS risk behavior relapse.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 163–166.
- Kelly, J.A., St. Lawrence, J.S., Hood, H.V., & Brasfield, T.L. (1989). Behavioral intervention to reduce AIDS activities.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 57, 60–67.
- Klovdahl, A.S. (1985). Social networks and the spread of infectious diseases: The AIDS example.Social Science and Medicine, 21, 1203–1216.
- Krebs, D. (1983). Nursing in primary health care.International Nursing Review, 30, 141–145.
- Lauer-Listhaus, B., & Watterson, J. (1988). A psychoeducational group for HIV-positive patients on a psychiatric service.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 776–777.
- Magura, S., Shapiro, J.L., Grossman, J.I., & Lipton, D.S. (1989). Education/support groups for AIDS prevention with at risk clients.Social Casework, 70, 10–20.
- Manning, D.T., Barenberg, N., Gallese, L., & Rice, J.C. (1989). College studients' knowledge health beliefs about AIDS: Implications for education and prevention.Journal of American College Health, 37, 254–259.
- Martin, J.L. (1986). AIDS risk reduction recommendations and sexual behavior patterns among gay men: A multifaceted categorical approach for assessing change.Health Education Quarterly, 13, 347–358.
- Mausner, J.S., & Bahn, A.K. (1974).Epidemiology: An introductory text. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co.
- May, R.M., & Anderson, R.M. (1987). Transmission dynamics of HIV infection.Nature 326, 137–142.
- Monet, G. (Producer).AIDS: Everything you and your family need to know...but were afraid to ask [videocassette] New York, NY: Journal Graphics.
- Price-Greathouse, J., & Trice, A.D. (1986). Chance health orientation and AIDS information seeking.Psychological Reports, 59, 10.
- Renan, S. (Producer & Director). (1986).AIDS: What everyone needs to know [videocassette]. Los Angeles, CA: Churchill Films.
- Sacks, M.H., Perry, S., Graver, R., & Shindledecker, R. (1990). Self-reported HIV-related risk behaviors in acute psychiatric inpatients: A pilot study.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 41, 1253–1255.
- Sacks, M.H., Silberstein, C., Weiler, P., & Perry, S. (1990). HIV-related risk factors in acu psychiatric inpatients.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 41, 449–451.
- Siegel, K., Bauman, L.J., Christ, G.H., & Krown, S. (1988). Patterns of change in sexual behavior among gay men in New York City.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 17, 481–489.
- Siegel, K. & Gibson, W.C. (1988). Barriers to the modification of sexual behavior among heterosexuals at risk for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.Journal of Medicine, 88, 66–70.
- Silvestre, A.J., Lyter, D.W., Valdiserri, R.O., Huggins, J., & Rinaldo, C.R., (1989) Factors related to seroconversion among homo- and bisexual men after attending a risk-reduction educational session.AIDS, 3, 647–650.
- Simkins, L., & Eberhage, M.G. (1984). Attitudes toward AIDS, herpes II, and Toxic Shock Syndromes.Psychological Reports, 55, 779–786.
- Simkins, L., & Kushner, A. (1986). Attitudes toward AIDS, Herpes II, and Toxic Shock Syndrome: Two years later.Psychological Reports, 59, 883–891.
- Sladyk, K. (1990). Teaching safe sex practices to psychiatric patients.American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 44, 284–286.
- Stall, R., Coates, T.J., & Hoff, C. (1988). Behavioral risk reduction for HIV infection among gay and bisexual men: A review of results from the United States.American Psychologist, 43, 878–885.
- Temoshok, L., Sweet, D.M., & Zich, J. (1987). The three city comparison of the public's knowledge and attitudes about AIDS.Psychology and Health, 1, 43–60.
- Valanis, B. (1986).Epidemiology in nursing and health care. Norwalk, CT: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Wachter, O., & Smilow, L. (Producers).Sex, drugs, & AIDS [videocassette]. New York, NY: O.D.N. Productions.
- Zimbardo, P.G., & Leippe, M.R. (1991).The psychology of attitude change and social influence. New York: McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Zonana, H., Norko, M., & Stier, D. (1988). The AIDS patient on the psychiatric unit: Ethical and legal issues.Psychiatric Annals, 18, 587–593.
- HIV and serious mental illness: Reducing the risk
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 29, Issue 1 , pp 35-47
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links