The efficacy of case management services for severely mentally disabled clients
- Phyllis Solomon Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comprehensive review of published and unpublished research studies of case management for severely mentally disabled adults was undertaken. This yielded 20 studies of four models of case management, Full Support, Personal Strengths, Rehabilitation and Expanded Broker Models. This article reviews these models, the research studies, the outcomes of these studies and conclusions that can be drawn regarding the efficacy of case management services for severely mentally disabled adults. Future directions for research in this area are recommended.
- Bigelow, D. (1981).Implementation of a case management program for the chronically mentally ill. Salem, Oregon: Mental Health and Developmental Disability Services Division.
- Bigelow, D., McFarland, B., & Olson, M. (1991). Quality of life of community mental health program clients: Validating a measure.Community Mental Health Journal, 27, 43–23.
- Bigelow, D., & Young, D. (1991). Effectiveness of a case management program.Community Mental Health Journal, 27, 115–23.
- Bond, G. (1984). An economic analysis of psychosocial rehabilitation.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 35, 356–62.
- Bond, G.R., Miller, L.D., Krumwied, R., & Ward, R.S. (1988). Assertive case management three CMHCs: A controlled study.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 411–18.
- Bond, G., Miller, L., Halter, C. (1989). Controlled research on rehabilitation approaches for dually diagnosed young adults. Presented at International Association of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services, Miami, Florida.
- Bond, G., Pensec, M., Dietzen, L., McCafferty, D., Grezza, R., & Sipple, H. (n.d., unpublished). Intensive case management for frequent users of psychiatric hospitals in a large city: A comparison of team and individual caseloads.
- Bond, G., Witheridge, T., Dincin, J., Wasmer, D., Webb, J., & DeGraaf-Kaser, R. (in press). Assertive community treatment for frequent users of psychiatric hospitals in a large city: A controlled study.American Journal of Community Psychology.
- Borland, A., McRae, J., & Lycan, C. (1989). Outcomes of five years of continuous intensive case management.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 40, 369–76.
- Bush, C., Langford, M.W., Rosen, P., & Gott, W. (1990). Operation outreach: Intensive case management for severely psychiatrically disabled adults.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 41, 647–49.
- Culter, D., Tatum, E., & Shore, J. (1987). A comparison of schizophrenia patients in different community support treatment approaches.Community Mental Health Journal, 23, 103–13.
- Franklin, J., Solovitz, B., Mason, M., Clemons, J., & Miller, G. (1987). An evaluation of case management.American Journal of Public Health, 77, 674.
- Goering, P., Wasylenki, D., Farkas, M., Lancee, W., & Ballantyne, R. (1988). What difference does case management make?Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 272–76.
- Harding, C.M., Zubin, J., & Strauss, J.S. (1987). Chronicity in schizophrenia. Fact, partial fact, or artifact?Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 38, 477–86.
- Harris, M. (1990). Redesigning case management services in work with character-disordered young adult patients. In N. Cohen (Ed.),Psychiatry takes to the streets (pp. 156–76). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Hoult, J., Reynolds, I., Charbonneau-Powis, M., Coles, P., & Briggs, J. (1981). A controlled study of psychiatric hospital versus community treatment: The effect on relatives.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 15, 323–28.
- Hoult, J., Reynolds, I., Charbonneau-Powis, M., Weekes, P. & Briggs, J. (1983). Psychiatric hospital versus community treatment: The results of a randomized trial.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 101, 160–67.
- Jerrell, J., & Hu, T. (1989). Cost-effectiveness of intensive clinical and case management compared with an existing system of care.Inquiry, 26, 224–34.
- Johnson, P., & Rubin, A. (1983). Case management in mental health: A social work domain?Social Work, 28, 49–55.
- McRae, J., Higgins, M., Lycan, C., & Sherman, W. (1990). What happens to patients after five years of intensive case management stops?Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 41, 175–183.
- Modrcin, M., Rapp, C., & Chamberlain, R. (1985). Case management with psychiatrically disabled individuals: Curriculum & training program. University of Kansas School of Social Welfare, Lawrence.
- Modrcin, M., Rapp, C., & Poertner, J. (1988). The evaluation of case management services with the chronically mentally ill.Evaluation and Program Planning, 11, 307–14.
- Morlock, L. (1990). A case for case management.Focus on Mental Health Services Research, 3, 1–2.
- Morse, G., Muether, R., Harmann, L., Calsyn, R., & Dannelet, M. (1988). Community services for the homeless: Preliminary experimental results. Presented at 141st annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Montreal, Canada.
- Mulder, R. (1982, unpublished). Final evaluation of the Harbinger Program as a demonstration project.
- Muller, J. (1981). Alabama community support project evaluation of the implementation and initial outcomes of a model case manager system.Community Support System Journal, Issue VI: 1–4.
- Olfson, M. (n.d., unpublished). The efficacy of assertive community treatment for the severely mentally ill.
- Robinson, G. (1991). Choices in case management.Community Support Network News, 7, 1, 11–12.
- Solomon, P., & Doll, W. (1979). The varieties of readmission: The case against the use of recidivism rates as a measure of program effectiveness.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 49, 230–39.
- Solomon, P. (1989, unpublished). Case management for jailed homeless CMI: Two models. National Institute of Mental Health Grant Proposal.
- Stein, L., & Test, M.A. (1980). Alternative to mental hospital treatment I conceptual model: Treatment program, and clinical evaluation.Archives of General Psychiatry, 37, 392–97.
- Test, M.A., & Stein, L. (1980). Alternative to mental hospital treatment III. Social cost.Archives of General Psychiatry, 37, 409–12.
- Test, M.A., Knoedler, W., & Allness, D. (1985). The long-term treatment of young schizophrenics in a community support program. In L. Stein & M.A. Test (Eds.),The training in community living model: A decade of experience. New Directions in Mental Health Services, No. 26, San Francisco, California: Jossey-Bass.
- Weisbrod, B., Test, M.A., & Stein, L. (1980). Alternative to mental hospital treatment II. Economic benefit cost analysis.Archives of General Psychiatry, 37, 400–05.
- Witheridge, T., & Dincin, J. (1985). The bridge: An assertive outreach program in an urban setting. In L.I. Stein & M.A. Test (Eds.),The training in community living model: A decade of experience. New Directions of Mental Health Services, No. 26, San Francisco, California: Jossey-Bass.
- Wright, R., Heiman, J., Shupe, J., & Olvera, G. (1989). Defining and measuring stabilization of patients during four years of intensive community support.American Journal of Psychiatry, 146, 1293–98.
- The efficacy of case management services for severely mentally disabled clients
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 28, Issue 3 , pp 163-180
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Mental Health Services and Systems Research, Hahnemann University, Dept. of Mental Health Sciences, M.S. 403, Broad and Vine Streets, 19102, Philadelphia, PA