Mental patients' attraction to the hospital: Correlates of living preference
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mental patients often show attraction to the hospital as a living alternative. In this study, 187 aftercare patients of an urban state hospital were examined for correlates of hospital attraction. Several variables, including background characteristics, psychosocial problems, psychiatric symptoms, substance abuse, and medication noncompliance, characterized the approximately 25% of the sample who showed hospital attraction. A logistic regression model for hospital attraction indicated that past hospital tenure, problems obtaining regular meals, positive symptoms of psychosis, and severe drug abuse contributed separately to the variance. The authors discuss the implications of these findings for treatment and public policy.
- Ajzen, I. & Fishbein, M. (1977). Attitude-behavior relations: A theoretical analysis and review of empirical research.Psychological Bulletin 94, 888–918.
- Bartels, S.J., Drake, R.E., Wallach, M.A. & Freeman, D.H. (1991). Characteristic hostility in schizophrenic outpatients.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 17, 163–171.
- Bassuk, E. & Gerson, S. (1980). Chronic crisis patients: A discrete clinical group.American Journal of Psychiatry, 137, 1513–1517.
- Drake, R.E., Osher, F.C., Noordsy, D.L., Hurlbut, S.C., Teague, G.B. & Beaudett, M.S. (1990). Diagnosis of alcohol use disorders in schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 16, 57–67.
- Drake, R.E., Osher, F.C., & Wallach, M.A. (1989a). Alcohol use and abuse in schizophrenia: A prospective community study.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 177, 408–414.
- Drake, R.E., Osher, F.C., & Wallach, M.A. (1991a). Homelessness and dual diagnosis.American Psychologist, 46, 1149–1158.
- Drake, R.E. & Wallach, M.A. (1979). Will mental patients stay in the community? A social psychological perspective.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 47, 285–294.
- Drake, R.E. & Wallach, M.A. (1988). Mental patients' attitudes toward hospitalization: A neglected aspect of hospital tenure.American Journal of Psychiatry, 145, 29–34.
- Drake, R.E. & Wallach, M.A. (1989). Substance abuse among the chronic mentally ill.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 40, 1041–1046.
- Drake, R.E., Wallach, M.A., & Hoffman, J.S. (1989b). Housing instability and homelessness among aftercare patients of an urban state hospital.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 40, 46–51.
- Drake, R.E., Wallach, M.A., Teague, G.B., Freeman, D.H., Paskus, T.S. & Clark, T.A. (1991b). Housing instability and homelessness among rural schizophrenic patients.American Journal of Psychiatry 148, 330–336.
- Goffman, E. (1961).Asylums. Garden City, NY: Doubleday Anchor.
- Goldman, A.R., Bohr, R.H., & Steinberg, T.A. (1970). On posing as patients: Reminiscences and recommendations.Professional Psychology, 1, 427–434.
- Goodman, L.A. & Kruskal, W.H. (1954). Measures of association for cross classifications.Journal of the American Statistical Association, 49, 732–764.
- Kline, J., Bebout, R., Harris, M., & Drake, R. (1991). Models of treatment for homelessness and dual diagnosis. In K. Minkoff & R.E. Drake, (Eds.),Dual Diagnosis of Severe Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorder. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Koegel, P. & Burnam, M.A. (1988). Alcoholism among homeless adults in the inner city of Los Angeles.Archives of General Psychiatry, 45, 1011–1018.
- Miller, R.G. (1981).Simultaneous Statistical Inference, Second Edition. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Myers, D.H., Leahy, A., & Ryder, J. (1990). The patients' view of life in a psychiatric hospital: A questionnaire study and associated methodological considerations.British Journal of Psychiatry, 156, 853–860.
- Rosenhan, D.L. (1973). On being sane in insane places.Science, 179, 150–158.
- Schwartz, S.R., & Goldfinger, S.M. (1981). The new chronic patient: Clinical characteristics of an emerging subgroup.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 32, 470–474.
- Weinstein, R.M. (1979). Patient attitudes toward mental hospitalization: A review of quantitative research.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 20, 237–258.
- Mental patients' attraction to the hospital: Correlates of living preference
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 5-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links