The psychological effects of secondary amenorrhea in women runners
- Linda Comenitz
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this study was to examine the psychological effect of secondary amenorrhea among women runners. Original data was gathered by conducting interviews—with amenorrheic and nonamenorrheic renners. All those interviewed reported that running improved their sense of selfesteem and feelings of adequacy. Some of the amenorrheic women indicated that the loss of mentruation was directly correlated to a loss of self-esteem, while others denied any adverse reaction. Brief social histories indicated a high degree of family psychopathology in the amenorrheic women runners. Those who sought psychotherapeutic help subsequently resumed menses.
- Dale, E., Gerlach, D., & Wilhite, A. Menstrual dysfunction in distance runners.Obsterics and Gynecology, 1979,54:47.
- Drew, F. The epidemiology of secondary amenorrhea.Journal of Chronic Disease, 1961,14:39–407b.
- Erdelyi, G. Gynecological survey of female athletes.Journal of Sportsmedicine Physical Fitness, 1962,2:174.
- Feicht, C.B., Johnson, T.S., & Martin, B.J. Secondary amenorrhea in athletes.Lancet, 1978,2:1145.
- Frankl, V.,The doctor and the soul, New York, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. 1955.
- Frisch, R. Harvard study probing causes of secondary amenorrhea in women athletes.Focus; Harvard Medical Area, Oct. 1979.
- Purdy, J.G.Medical Science Sports, 1977,9:212.
- Shangold, M., Freeman, R., Thysen, B., & Gatz, M. The relationship between long distance running, plasma progesterone and luteal phase length.Fertility and Sterility, 1979,31:130.
- Sours, J.Starving to death in a sea of objects. New York: Jason Aronson, 1980.
- The psychological effects of secondary amenorrhea in women runners
Clinical Social Work Journal
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 87-96
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Linda Comenitz (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Northern Westchester Guidance Clinic, 344 Main St., 10549, Mt. Kisco, NY