Validity of case manager reports of clients' functioning in the community: Independent living, income, employment, family contact, and problem behaviors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Validity of case manager reports of client functioning in the community was assessed by examining the correspondence between case manager reports and client reports of several widely-used indicators of client well-being, including independent living, income, employment, family contact, and problem behaviors. Effects of how well case managers knew their clients and of using telephone interviews vs. self-administered questionnaires to gather case manager data were also investigated. Data were gathered from 6 case managers and 55 of their seriously mentally ill clients in a rural Wisconsin Community Support Program. Indicators of independent living and employment displayed reasonably good agreement and support the use of case manager reports in research. Indicators of income and problem behaviors produced lower levels of client-case manager agreement at least in part because client reports proved an inadequate criterion for these measures.
- Cohen, J. (1968) Weighted Kappa: nominal scale agreement with provision for scaled disagreement or partial credit. Psychological Bulletin 70: pp. 213-220
- Ellis, R. H., Wilson, N. Z., Foster, F. M. (1984) Statewise treatment outcome assessment in Colorado: The Colorado Client Assessment Record (CCAR). Community Mental Health Journal 20: pp. 72-89
- Fisher, G. A., Tessler, R. C., Manderscheid, R. W., & Sommers, I. B. (1989).Sheltering the severely mentally ill in the community: A sequential decision model. Unpublished manuscript, National Institute of Mental Health.
- Grusky, O., Tierney, K., Manderscheid, R. W., Grusky, D. (1985) Social bonding and community adjustment of chronically mentally ill adults. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 26: pp. 49-63
- Hyde, P. S., Bean, G. J., Jr., Townsend, W., Garrett, J., Roth, D. & Champney, T. F. (1988, February).An assessment of the reliability and validity of the functioning scales used in the 508 certification process. Unpublished manuscript, Ohio Department of Mental Health.
- Kanter, J. (1989) Clinical case management: Definition, principles, components. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 40: pp. 361-368
- Mulkern, V. M., Manderscheid, R. W. (1989) Characteristics of community support program clients in 1980 and 1984. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 40: pp. 165-172
- Rosen, A., Hadzi-Pavlovic, D., Parker, G. (1989) The life skills profile: A measure assessing function and disability in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 15: pp. 325-337
- Tessler, R. C., Goldman, H. H. (1982) The chronically mentally ill: Assessing community support programs. Ballinger, Cambridge, MA
- Tessler, R. C., Miller, J. L., Rossi, P. H. The chronically mentally ill in the community: What accounts for successful client functioning?. In: Greenley, J. R. eds. (1984) Research in community and mental health. JAI Press, Inc., Greenwich, CT, pp. 221-244
- Test, M. A., Knoedler, W. H., Allness, D. J. The long-term treatment of young schizophrenics in a community support program. In: Stein, L. I., Test, M. A. eds. (1985) The training in community living model: A decade of experience: No. 26. New directions for mental health services. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, pp. 17-27
- Test, M. A., Wallisch, L. S., Allness, D. J., Ripp, K. (1989) Substance use in young adults with schizophrenic disorders. Schizophrenia Bulletin 15: pp. 465-476
- Tinsley, H. E. A., Weiss, D. J. (1975) Interrater reliability and agreement of subjective judgments. Journal of Counseling Psychology 22: pp. 358-376
- Widlak, P. A., McKee, D., Greenberg, J. R., & Greenley, J. R. (in press). An assessment of client function scales in the Uniform Client Data Instrument (UCDI).Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal.
- Validity of case manager reports of clients' functioning in the community: Independent living, income, employment, family contact, and problem behaviors
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 505-517
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links