Client confidentiality and the family's need to know: strategies for resolving the conflict
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Vital supports for individuals disabled by mental illness are often provided by their families. The ability of these families to help is dependent on their knowledge of their relative's illness and treatment regime. However, practitioners wishing to provide such information feel a conflict between the family's interest in the information and their client's right to confidentiality. This article presents strategies to enhance information sharing with families while still protecting the client's confidentiality.
- Anderson, C., Hogarty, G., & Reiss, D. (1986).Schizophrenia and the Family. New York: Guilford Press.
- Atkinson, J. (1986).Schizophrenia at Home: A Guide to Helping the Family. New York: New York University Press.
- Bernheim, K. & Lehman, A. (1985).Working with Families of the Mentally Ill. New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- Bernheim, K. Lewine, R., & Beale, C. (1982).The Caring Family: Living with Chronic Mental Illness, New York: Random House.
- Bratt v. International Business Machines Corp. 392 Mass 508(1984), 467 NE2d 126.
- Dearth, N., Labenski, B. Mott, M. & Pellegrini L. (1986).Families Helping Families. New York: W. W. Norton & Co., Inc.
- Dincin, J., Selleck, W., & Steicker, S. (1978). Restructuring parental attitudes: Working with parents of the adult mentally ill.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 4, 597–608.
- Falloon, I., Boyd, J., McGill, C. (1985).Family Care of Schizophrenia. New York: Guiford Press.
- Fisher, R. & Ury, W. (1981).Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In. New York: Penguin Books.
- Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 vs. 479 (1965).
- Hatfield, A. (1987). Social support and family coping. In Hatfield,A. & Lefley, H. (Eds.).Families of the Mentally Ill: Coping and Adaptation New York: Guilford Press.
- Hatfield, A. (1984).Coping with Mental Illness in the Family: The Family Guide. Washington, DC: National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.
- Holden, D. & Lewine, R. (1982). How families evaluate health professionals, resources and effects of illness.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 8, 626–633.
- Hyde, A. (1980).Living with Schizophrenia. Chicago: Contemporary Books.
- Korpell, H. (1984).How You Can Help: A Guide for Families of Psychiatric Hospital Patients. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
- Leff, J., Kuipers, L., Berkowitz, R., Eberbein-Vries R., & Sturgeon, D. (1982). Controlled trial of social intervention in the families of schizophrenic patients.British Journal of Psychiatry, 141, 121–134.
- MacDonald v. Clinger 84 App Div 2d 482(1981), 446 NYS2d 801.
- Mikel v. Abrams, 541 F Supp 591 (WD MO 1982) aff'd without OpN 716 F2d 907.
- Plummer, E., Thornton, J., Seeman, M. & Littman, S. (1981). Coping with schizophrenia: A group approach with relatives.Journal of Psychiatric Treatment and Evaluation, 3, 257–262.
- Spaniol, L., Jung, H., Zipple, A., & Fitzgerald, S. (1987). Families as a central resource in the rehabilitation of the severely psychiatrically disabled: Report on a national survey, In A. Hatfield and H. Lefley (Eds.),The Family As Caregiver, New York: Guilford Press.
- Tarassoff v. Regents of U. of California, 529 P2d 533, Cal Reptr 14 (1976).
- Torrey, E. (1983).Surviving Schizophrenia: A Family Manual New York: Harper & Row.
- Vine, P. (1982).Families in Pain, New York: Pantheon Books.
- Walsh, J. (1985).The Family Education and Support Group: A Psychoeducational Aftercare Program. Unpublished manuscript. Available from the Bridge Counseling Center, Columbus, OH.
- Wasow, M. (1980).Professionals Have Hurt Us-Parents of Schizophrenics Speak Out. Unpublished manuscript. Available from author, University of Wisconsin School of Social Work.
- Wasow, M. (1982).Coping with Schizophrenia: A Survival Manual for Parents, Relatives, and Friends. Palo Alto: Science and Behavior Books, Inc.
- Zipple, A. & Spaniol, L. (1987). Current educational and supportive interventions with families: A review and suggestions for their use. In A. Hatfield and H. Lefley (Eds.),The Family as Caregiver New York: Guilford Press.
- Client confidentiality and the family's need to know: strategies for resolving the conflict
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 533-545
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Vinfen Corporation in Boston, 28 Travis St., 02134, Boston, MA
- 2. New Hampshire Division of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities in Concord, NH
- 3. Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation at Boston University, Boston, USA
- 4. Board of the Alliance for the Mentally Ill of Massachusetts, Massachusetts, USA