Determination of ammonium and L-Glutamine in hybridoma cell cultures by sequential flow injection analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A flow injection anlytical system based on a gas diffusion membrane module for ammonia and an ammonium flow-through potentiometric detector has been set up for measurement of L-glutamine and ammonium ions in hybridoma cell cultures. The main feature of the system is that the same basic analytical concept and equipment is used in both measurements, the only difference being for the determination of L-glutamine, in which the sample flows through an immobilized glutaminase cartridge. The conditions to enable the performance of both analysis consecutively, avoiding potential interferences by unwanted deamination of other compounds in the samples, have been determined. Finally, the proposed system has been compared with reference analytical methods for batch hybridoma cell culture experiments.
- Alegret S, Alonso J, Bartrolí J and Martínez-Fàbregas E (1989) Flow injection system for on-line potentiometric monitoring of ammonia in freshwater streams. Analyst 114: 1443–1447.
- Benthin S, Nielsen J and Villadsen J (1991) Characterization and application of precise and robust flow-injection analysers for on-line measurements during fermentations. Anal. Chim. Acta 247: 45–50.
- Bradley J, Stöcklein W and Schmid RD (1991) Biochemistry based analysis systems for bioprocess monitoring and control. Proc. Cont. Qual. 1: 157–183.
- Cattaneo MV and Luong JHT (1993) Monitoring glutamine in animal cell cultures using a chemiluminescence fiber optic biosensor. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 41: 659–665.
- Glacken MW, Fleischaker RJ, Sinskey AJ (1986) Reduction of waste product excretion via nutrient control: possible strategies for maximizing product and cell yields on serum in cultures of mammalian cells. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 28: 1376–1389.
- Locher G, Sonnleitner B and Fiechter A (1992) On-line measurement in biotechnology: techniques. J. Biotechnol. 25: 23–53.
- Merten O-W, Palfi GE, Steiner J (1986) On-line determination of biochemical/physiological parameters in the fermentation of animal cells in continuous or discontinuous mode. Adv. Biotechnol. Proc. 6: 111–178.
- Meyerhoff ME, Trojanowicz M and Palsson BO (1993) Simultaneous enzymatic/electrochemical determination of glucose and L-glutamine in hybridoma media by flow-injection analysis. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 41: 964–969.
- Newland M, Greenfield PF, Reid S (1990) Hybridoma growth limitations: the roles of energy metabolism and ammonia production. Cytotechnology 3: 215–229.
- Ozturk SS, Palsson BO (1990) Chemical decomposition of glutamine in cell culture media: effect of media type, pH, and serum concentration. Biotechnol. Prog. 6: 121–128.
- Ozturk SS, Riley MR and Palsson BO (1992) Effects of ammonia and lactate on hybridoma growth, metabolism, and antibody production. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 39: 418–431.
- Palleschi J, Mascini M, Martínez-Fàbregas E and Elegret S (1988) Urea determination in human sera with an ammonium ion selective electrode made with solid inert electric contact and immobilized urease. Anal. Lett. 21: 1115–1129.
- Rees AL (1990). Flow-injection analysis in bioprocess control. In: Twork JV/Yacynych. Sensors in bioprocess control. (pp 221–141) Dekker.
- Renneberg R, Trott-Kriegeskorte G, Lietz M, Jäger V, Pawlowa M, Kaiser G, Wollenberger U, Schubert F, Wagner R, Schmid RD and Scheller FW (1991) Enzyme sensor-FIA-system for on-line monitoring of glucose, lactate and glutamine in animal cell cultures. J. Biotechnol. 21: 173–186.
- Ruzicka J and Hansen EH (1988). Flow injection analysis. 2nd edition, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Scheper T, Brandes W, BGrau C, Hundeck HG, Reinhardt B, Rüther F, Plötz F, Schelp C and Schügerl K (1991) Applications of biosensor systems for bioprocess monitoring. Anal. Chim. Acta 249: 25–34
- Determination of ammonium and L-Glutamine in hybridoma cell cultures by sequential flow injection analysis
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 177-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- flow injection analysis
- sequential determination
- hybridoma culture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Unitat d'Enginyeria Química, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
- 2. Unitat de Química Analítica, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain