Nonlocality and the Kochen-Specker paradox
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A new proof of the impossibility of reconciling realism and locality in quantum mechanics is given. Unlike proofs based on Bell's inequality, the present work makes minimal and transparent use of probability theory and proceeds by demonstrating a Kochen-Specker type of paradox based on the value assignments to the spin components of two spatially separated spin-1 systems in the singlet state of their total spin. An essential part of the argument is to distinguish carefully two commonly confused types of contextuality; we call them ontological and environmental contextuality. These in turn are associated with two quite distinct senses of nonlocality. We indicate the relevance of our treatment to other related discussions in recent literature on the philosophy of quantum mechanics.
- S. Kochen and E. P. Specker,J. Math. Mech. 17, 59 (1967).
- J. S. Bell,Physics 1, 195 (1964).
- A. Stairs,PhD Thesis, University of Western Ontario, 1978.
- A. Fine,Synthese 29, 257 (1974).
- A. Fine,Synthese 42, 145 (1979).
- P. Teller,Phil. Sci. 44, 475 (1977).
- A. M. Gleason,J. Math. Mech. 6, 885 (1957).
- J. S. Bell,Rev. Mod. Phys. 38, 447 (1966).
- A. Fine and P. Teller,Found. Phys. 8, 629 (1978).
- M. L. G. Redhead,Phil. Sci. 48, 50 (1981).
- B. C. van Fraassen, inContemporary Research in the Foundations and Philosophy of Quantum Theory, C. A. Hooker, ed. (Reidel, Dordrecht, 1973), p. 80.
- M. J. Maczynski,Rep. Math. Phys. 2, 135 (1971).
- W. Demopoulos, inStudies in the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, P. Suppes, ed. (PSA, East Lansing, 1980), p. 119.
- P. Humphreys, inStudies in the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, P. Suppes, ed. (PSA, East Lansing, 1980), p. 145.
- J. Bub, inStudies in the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, P. Suppes, ed. (PSA, East Lansing, 1980), p. 149.
- P. Heywood,Studies in the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, P. Suppes, ed. (PSA, East Lansing, 1980);Brit. J. Phil. of Sci. (to appear).
- J. Bub,Found. Phys. 6, 511 (1976).
- J. Clauser and A. Shimony,Rep. Prog. Phys. 41, 1881 (1978).
- M. L. G. Redhead, “Causality, Relativity and the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox,” inSpace, Time and Causality, R. Swinburne, ed. (Reidel, Dordrecht, 1983), p. 151.
- B. C. van Fraassen,Synthese 42, 155 (1979).
- A. Fine,Phil. Sci. 44, 95 (1977).
- Nonlocality and the Kochen-Specker paradox
Foundations of Physics
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 481-499
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors