Nonlocality in quantum theory understood in terms of Einstein's nonlinear field approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We discuss Einstein's ideas on the need for a theory that is both objective and local and also his suggestion for realizing such a theory through nonlinear field equations. We go on to analyze the nonlocality implied by the quantum theory, especially in terms of the experiment of Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen. We then suggest an objective local field model along Einstein's lines, which might explain quantum nonlocality as a coordination of the properties of pulse-like solutions of the nonlinear equations that would represent particles. Finally, we discuss the implications of our model for Bell's inequality.
- M. Goldsmith, A. MacKay, and J. Woudhuysen,Einstein, The First Hundred Years (Pergamon, Oxford, 1980).
- P. A. Schilpp,Albert Einstein: Philosopher Scientist (Harper Torchbooks, New York, 1959).
- D. Bohm,Found. Phys. 1, 359 (1971);Found. Phys. 3, 139 (1973);Wholeness and the Implicate Order (Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 1980); F. A. M. Frescura and B. J. Hiley,Found. Phys. 10, 7 (1980).
- P. A. M. Dirac,Proc. Roy. Soc. A.167, 148 (1938);Proc. Roy. Soc. A.180, 1 (1942).
- The Born-Einstein Letters (Correspondence Between Albert Einstein and Max and Hedwig Born (1916–1955) with Commentaries by Max Born), I. Born, ed. (MacMillan, London, 1971).
- A. Einstein, B. Podolsky, and N. Rosen,Phys. Rev. 47, 777 (1935).
- C. S. Wu and I. Shaknov,Phys. Rev. 77, 136 (1950).
- D. Bohm and Y. Aharanov,Phys. Rev. 108, 1070 (1957).
- W. H. Furry,Phys. Rev. 49, 393 (1936).
- J. S. Bell,Physics 1, 195 (1964).
- M. Paty,Quantum Mechanics, a Half-century Later, J. L. Lopes and M. Pary, eds. (Reidel, Dordrecht, Holland, 1977); J. F. Clauser and A. Shimony,Rep. Prog. Phys. 41, 1881 (1978).
- A. R. Wilson, J. Lowe, and D. K. Butt,J. Phys. G. Nucl. Phys. 9, 613 (1976).
- R. Thom,Structural Stability and Morphogenesis, (Benjamin, London, 1973).
- J. A. Wheeler and R. Feynman,Rev. Mod. Phys. 21, 425 (1949).
- A. Aspect,Phys. Lett. 54A, 117 (1975);Phys. Rev. 14D, 1944 (1976).
- H. P. Stapp,Phys. Rev. 3D, 1303 (171).
- D. Bohm,Phys. Rev. 85, 166 (1952).
- C. Philippidis, C. Dewdney, and B. J. Hiley,Nuovo Cimento 52B, 15 (1979).
- F. Selleri and G. Tarozzi,Epistemological Letters, p. 1 (Institut de la Methode, Oct. 1978).
- E. P. Wigner, inThe Scientist Speculates, I. J. Good, ed. (Putnam, New York, 1965).
- Nonlocality in quantum theory understood in terms of Einstein's nonlinear field approach
Foundations of Physics
Volume 11, Issue 7-8 , pp 529-546
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors