Arctic sea ice characteristics and associated atmosphere — Ice interactions in summer inferred from SMMR data and drifting buoys: 1979–1984
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
SMMR-derived sea ice concentrations for November 1978 – October 1984 in the Canada Basin are examined to determine temporal and spatial scales of variability in ice concentration and extent. Large regions of reduced-concentration ice are observed in late summer in four of the six years studied. Examination of the brightness temperature patterns and comparison of the SMMR-derived concentrations with visible-band imagery and drifting buoy temperatures support the interpretation of these features as true reductions in ice concentration. The observed areas of reduced concentration appears as a mixture of big floes andrazvodye, or open water areas of irregular shape and indefinite duration. Comparison with buoy-measured surface pressure and winds suggests that reduced ice concentrations are associated with regions of strong winds and divergence beneath low pressure systems.
- Barry, R. G.: Arctic Ocean ice and climate: perspectives on a century of polar research. Ann. Assoc. Amer. Geographers 73, 485–501 (1983)
- Campbell, W. J.; Gloersen, P.; Zwally, H. J.: Aspects of Arctic sea ice observable by sequential passive microwave observations from the Nimbus-5 satellite. In: Dyer, I.; Chrissostomidis, C. (ed.), Arctic Technology and Poligy. 197–222 pp. Hemisphere Publishing, New York 1984.
- Campbell, W. J.; Gloersen, P.; Josberger, E. G.; Johannessen, O. M.; Guest, P. S.; Mognard, N.; Shuchman, R.; Burns, B. A.; Lannelongue, N.; Davidson, K. L.: Variations of mesoscale and largescale sea ice morphology in the 1984 Marginal Ice Zone Experiment as observed by microwave remote sensing. J. Geophys. Res. 92 (C7), 6805–6824 (1987)
- Carsey, F. D.: Arctic sea ice distribution at end of summer 1973–1976 from satellite microwave data. J. Geophys. Res., 87 (C8), 5809–5835 (1982)
- Cavalieri, D. J.; Gloersen, P.; Campbell, W. J.: Determination of sea ice parameters with the Nimbus 7 SMMR. J. Geophys. Res. 89 (D4), 5355–5369 (1984)
- Crane, R. G.; Barry, R. G.; Zwally, H. J.: Analysis of atmosphere-sea ice interactions in the Arctic Basin using ESMR microwave data. Int. J. Remote Sensing 3, 3, 259–276 (1982)
- Dunbar, M.; Wittman, W.: Some features of ice movement in the Arctic Basin. In: Proceedings of the Arctic Basin Symposium, Hershey, PA, Oct. 1962, 90–103. Arctic Institute of North America, 1963.
- Gloersen, P.; Zwally, H. J.; Chang, A. T. C.; Hall, D. K.: Time-dependence of sea-ice concentration and multiyear ice fraction in the Arctic Basin. Boundary Layer Met. 13, 339–259 (1978)
- Grenfell, T. C.; Lohanick, A. W.: Temporal variations of the microwave signatures of sea ice during the late spring and early summer near Mould Bay, NWT. J. Geophys. Res. 90 (C3), 5063–5074 (1985)
- Hibler, W. D., III: Differential sea-ice drift, II. Comparison of mesoscale strain measurements to linear drift theory predictions. J. Glaciol. 13, 69, 457–471 (1974)
- Hibler, W. D. III: Modeling sea-ice dynamics. Advances in Geophysics. 28, 549–579 pp. In: Manabe S. (ed.), Issues in Atmosperic and Oceanic Modeling, Part A. Climate Dynamics. Academic Press, 1985.
- Hollinger, J. P.; Troy Jr., B. E.; Ramseier, R. O.; Asmus, K. W.; Hartman, M. F.; Luther, C. A.: Microwave emission from high Arctic sea ice during freeze-up. J. Geophys. Res. 89 (C5), 8104–8122 (1984)
- Maslanik J. A.; Barry, R. G.: Short-term interactions between atmospheric synoptic conditions and sea ice behaviour in the Arctic. Annals of Glaciology, in press.
- McLaren, A. S.: Analysis of the under-ice topography in the Arctic Basin as recorded by the USS Nautilus in 1958 and USS Queenfish in 1970. Ph. D. thesis, 152 pp., University of Colorado, Boulder 1986.
- McLaren, A. S.; Serreze, M. C.; Barry, R. G.: Seasonal variations of sea ice motion in the Canada Basin and their implications. Geophys. Res. Lett. 14, (11), 1123–1126 (1987)
- Naval Intelligence Support Center: Russian-English Arctic Environment Glossary, NISC No. 7906, Washington, DC 1985.
- Parkinson, C. L.: On the value of long-term satellite passive microwave data sets for sea ice/climate studies. GeoJournal (this issue)
- Parkinson, C. L.; Comiso, J. C.; Zwally, H. J.; Cavalieri, D. J.; Gloersen, P.; Campbell, W. J.: Arctic sea ice, 1973–1976: Satellite passive-microwave observations. NASA SP-489, 295 pp., 1987.
- Pritchard, R. S.: Sea Ice Process and Models. IAHS Publ. No. 124, University of Washington Press, Seattle 1980.
- Robinson, D. A.; Kukla, G. J.; Serreze, M. C.: Arctic summer cloudiness. Proceedings. Sixth Conference on Atmospheric Radiation, American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA, 176–179, 1986.
- Semtner, A. J., Jr.: A numerical study of sea ice and ocean circulation in the Arctic. J. Phys. Oceanog. 17, 1077–1099 (1987)
- Serreze, M. C.; Barry, R. G.: Synoptic activity in the Canada Basin in summer, 1979–1985. Second Conference on Polar Meteorology and Oceanography, American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA, 57–60, 1988.
- Skou, N.; Pedersen, L. T.: Microwave signatures of the sea ice in the East Greenland Current. IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, OE-9, 5, 339–343 (1984)
- Swift, C. T.; Jones, W. L.; Harrington, R. F.; Fedors, J. C.; Couch, R. H.: Microwave radar and radiometric remote sensing measurements of lake ice. Geophys. Res. Lett. 7, (4), 243–246 (1980)
- Thorndike, A. S.; Colony, R.: Arctic Ocean buoy program. Data Report. 19 January 1979–31 December 1979. Polar Science Center, University of Washington, Seattle 1980.
- Thorndike, A. S.; Colony, R.: Sea ice motion in response to geostrophic winds. J. Geophys. Res. 87, (C8), 5845–5852 (1982)
- Arctic sea ice characteristics and associated atmosphere — Ice interactions in summer inferred from SMMR data and drifting buoys: 1979–1984
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 35-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links