Temperature dependence of the Tafel slope for oxygen reduction on platinum in concentrated phosphoric acid
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oxygen reduction on bright platinum in concentrated H3PO4 has been investigated with the rotating disc electrochemical technique at temperatures from 25 to 250° C and oxygen pressures up to 1.77 MPa. Cyclic voltammetry has been employed to study the anodic film formed on platinum in concentrated H3PO4 and the possible electroreduction of H3PO4 on platinum. The apparent transfer coefficient for the oxygen reduction has been found to be approximately proportional to temperature rather than independent of temperature. Such behaviour is difficult to reconcile with accepted theories for the effect of electrode potential on the energy barriers for electrode processes. It is of importance to establish an understanding of this phenomenon. Possible factors which can contribute to the temperature dependence of the transfer coefficient but which would not necessarily result in a direct proportionality to temperature include potential dependent adsorption of solution phase species, restructuring of the solution in the compact layer, proton and electron tunnelling, a shift in rate-determining step, changes in the symmetry of the potential energy barrier, penetration of the electric field into the electrode phase, insufficient correction for ohmic losses, and impurity effects.
- B. E. Conway and D. J. MacKinnon,J. Electrochem. Soc. 116 (1969) 1665.
- B. E. Conway, D. J. MacKinnon and B. V. Tilak,Trans. Faraday Soc. 73 (1969) 1203.
- B. E. Conway, in ‘Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry’, (edited by B. E. Conway, J. O'M. Bockris and R. White), Vol. 16, Plenum, New York (1986), Chapter 2, p. 103
- J. N. Agar,Disc. Faraday Soc. (1947) 81.
- W. Roiter and R. Jampolskaja,Acta Physiochim. 7 (1937) 247.
- B. R. Scharifker, P. Zelenay and J. O'M. Bockris,J. Electrochem. Soc. 134 (1987) 2714.
- E. Kirowa-Eisner, M. Schwarz and E. Gileadi,Electrochim. Acta 34 (1989) 1103.
- S. J. Clouser, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, (1982).
- W. M. Vogel and J. M. Baris,Electrochim. Acta 23 (1968) 463.
- A. Damjanovic, D. B. Sepa and M. V. Vojnovic,ibid. 24 (1979) 887.
- E. Custidiano, T. Kessler, W. E. Triaca and A. J. Arvia,ibid. 31 (1986) 1671.
- J. C. Huang, R. K. Sen and E. Yeager,J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 (1979) 736.
- J. O'M. Bockris and S. U. M. Khan, ‘Quantum Electrochemistry’, Plenum, New York, (1979).
- B. E. Conway, D. F. Tessier and D. P. Wilkinson,J. Electroanal. Chem. 199 (1986) 249.
- R. Parsons,J. Electroanal. Chem. 21 (1969) 35.
- M. Ghoneim, S. Clouser and E. Yeager,J. Electrochem. Soc. 132 (1985) 1160.
- Temperature dependence of the Tafel slope for oxygen reduction on platinum in concentrated phosphoric acid
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 23, Issue 6 , pp 597-605
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors