Turbulence in an atmosphere with a non-uniform temperature
- A. M. Obukhov
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this work the effect of static stability on the development of atmospheric turbulence is investigated. This influence is considered quantitatively by generalizing Prandtl's semi-empirical theory, i.e., by using a correcting factor in the form of a universal function of the Richardson number. An evaluation of the thickness of the layer of dynamic turbulence under various external conditions is successfully achieved quantitatively.
- Brunt, D.: 1941,Physical and Dynamical Meteorology, Cambridge University Press, London.
- Goldstein, S.: 1938,Modern Developments in Fluid Dynamics, Vol.2, Oxford University Press.
- Keller, L. V.: 1930, ‘Theory of Convection and Turbulence’,Trudy Glavn. Geofis. Observ. (Works of Main Geophys. Observ.), No. 4.
- Sverdrup, H. U.: 1936, ‘Austausch und Stabilität in der untersten Luftschicht’,Meteorolog. Z. 53.
- Velikanov, M. A. (Ed.): 1936,A Collection of Russian Translations of Classical Papers on Turbulence, ONTI Publishing House.
- Turbulence in an atmosphere with a non-uniform temperature
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 7-29
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- A. M. Obukhov (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Institute of Theoretical Geophysics of the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R., Moscow, Russia