Sarcoplasmic Ca2+ transients during the contractile cycle of single barnacle muscle fibres: measurements with arsenazo III-injected fibres
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Single muscle fibres fromBalanus nubilus were injected with the metallochromic Ca2+ indicator arsenazo III; multi-wavelength microspectrophotometry was used to monitor changes in the absorption spectrum of such fibres during isometric tension transients elicited by electrical stimulation. Differential absorbance changes, recorded in the 660–720 nm region of the spectrum, were characterized by rapid, nearly linear increases during constant current depolarizing pulses (25–200 ms); upon termination of electrical stimuli the increased differential absorbance described an exponential (k=0.6–2.0 s−1) decay toward baseline levels. The maximal increases in these absorbance signals preceded the peaks of the tension transients by 300–400 ms at 15–17° C. Calibration of these optical transients indicated that the initial velocity of the rising phase corresponded to a 0.03 µm ms−1 increase in sarcoplasmic free Ca2+. Appreciable tension was not generated until the apparent peak magnitude of the free Ca2+ transient exceeded 2 µm; a further three-fold increase (from 2 to 6 µm) in the maximal value of the free Ca2+ transient was accompanied by a 20-fold increase in the magnitude of the tension transient.
- AHMED, Z., KRAGIE, L. & CONNOR, J. A. (1980) Stiochiometry and apparent dissociation constant of the calcium-arsenazo III reaction under physiological conditions.Biophys. J. 32, 907–20.
- ASHLEY, C. C. & ELLORY, J. C. (1972) The efflux of magnesium from single crustacean muscle fibres.J. Physiol. 226, 653–74.
- ASHLEY, C. C. & LIGNON, J. (1981) Aequorin responses during relaxation of tension of single muscle fibres stimulated by voltage clamp.J. Physiol. 318, 10–11P.
- ASHLEY, C. C. & MOISESCU, D. G. (1972) Model for the action of calcium in muscle.Nature New Biol. 237, 208–11.
- ASHLEY, C. C. & MOISESCU, D. G. (1973) The mechanism of the free calcium change in single muscle fibres during contraction.J. Physiol. 231, 23–25P.
- ASHLEY, C. C. & MOISESCU, D. G. (1977) Effect of changing the composition of the bathing solutions upon the isometric tension-pCa relationship in bundles of crustacean myofibrils.J. Physiol. 270, 627–52.
- ASHLEY, C. C. & RIDGWAY, E. B. (1970) On the relationships between membrane potential, calcium transient and tension in single barnacle muscle fibres.J. Physiol. 209, 105–30.
- BAYLOR, S. M., CHANDLER, W. K. & MARSHALL, M. W. (1981) Comparison of optical signals in frog muscle obtained with three calcium indicator dyes.Biophys. J. 33, 150a.
- BLINKS, J. R., RUDEL, R. & TAYLOR, S. R. (1978) Calcium transients in isolated amphibian skeletal muscle fibres: detection with aequorin.J. Physiol. 277, 291–323.
- BRINLEY, F. J., SCARPA, A. & TIFFERT, T. (1977) The concentration of ionized magnesium in barnacle muscle fibres.J. Physiol. 266, 545–65.
- BROWN, H. M. & RYDQUIST, B. (1981) Arsenazo III-Ca++. Effect of pH, ionic strength, and arsenazo III concentration on equilibrium binding evaluated with Ca++-ion specific electrodes and absorbance measurements.Biophys. J. 36, 117–38.
- CALDWELL, P. C. (1958) Studies on the internal pH of large muscle and nerve fibres.J. Physiol. 142, 22–62.
- CHANCE, B., LEGALLAIS, V., SORGE, J. & GRAHAM, N. (1975) A versatile time-sharing multi-channel spectrophotometer, reflectometer, and fluorometer.Analyt. Biochem. 66, 498–514.
- DiPOLO, R., REQUENA, J., BRINLEY, F. J., MULLINS, L. J., SCARPA, A. & TIFFERT, T. (1976) Ionized calcium concentrations in squid axons.J. gen. Physiol. 67, 433–67.
- ECKERT, R., TILLOTSON, D. & RIDGWAY, E. B. (1977) Voltage-dependent facilitation of Ca++ entry in voltage-clamped, aequorin-injected molluscan neurons.Proc. natn. Acad. Sci. 74, 1748–52.
- EDWARDS, C., CHICHIBU, S. & HAGIWARA, S. (1964) Relation between membrane potential changes and tension in barnacle muscle fibers.J. gen. Physiol. 48, 225–34.
- GAYTON, D. C. & ELLIOTT, G. B. (1980) Structural and osmotic studies of single giant fibres of barnacle muscle.J. Musc. Res. Cell Motility 1, 391–408.
- GORMAN, A. L. F. & THOMAS, M. V. (1980) Intracellular calcium accumulation during depolarization in a molluscan neurone.J. Physiol. 308, 259–285.
- HINKE, J. A. M., CAILLE, J. P. & GAYTON, D. C. (1973) Distribution and state of monovalent ions in skeletal muscle based on ion-electrode, isotope, and diffusion analysis.Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 204, 274–96.
- HOYLE, G. & SMYTH, T. (1963) Neuromuscular physiology of giant muscle fibers of a barnacle,Balanus nubilis Darwin.Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 10, 291–314.
- KOVACS, L., RIOS, E. & SCHNEIDER, M. F. (1979) Calcium transients and intramembrane charge movement in skeletal muscle fibres.Nature 279, 391–6.
- MARBAN, E., RINK, T. J., TSIEN, R. W. & TSIEN, R. Y. (1980) Free calcium in heart muscle at rest and during contraction measured with Ca2+-sensitive microelectrodes.Nature 286, 845–50.
- MILEDI, R., PARKER, I. & SCHALOW, G. (1977a) Measurement of calcium transients in frog muscle by the use of arsenazo III.Proc. R. Soc. 198, 201–10.
- MILEDI, R., PARKER, I. & SCHALOW, G. (1977b) Calcium transients in frog slow muscle fibres.Nature 286, 750–3.
- RIOS, E. & SCHNEIDER, M. F. (1981) Stoichiometry of the reactions of calcium with the metallochromic indicator dyes antipyrylazo III and arsenazo III.Biophys. J. 36, 607–22.
- SCARPA, A., BRINLEY, F. J., TIFFERT, T. & DUBYAK, G. (1978) Metallochromic indicators of ionized calcium.Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 307, 86–112.
- SCARPA, A. (1979) Measurement of calcium ion concentrations with metallochromic indicators. InDetection and Measurement of Free Ca (edited by ASHLEY, C. C. and CAMPBELL, A. K.), pp. 85–115. Amsterdam: North Holland.
- SIMON, W., AMMAN, D., OEHME, M. & MORF, W. E. (1977) Calcium-selective electrodes.Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 307, 52–70.
- THOMAS, M. V. (1979) Arsenazo III forms 2:1 complexes with Ca and 1:1 complexes with Mg under physiological conditions.Biophys. J. 25, 541–8.
- Sarcoplasmic Ca2+ transients during the contractile cycle of single barnacle muscle fibres: measurements with arsenazo III-injected fibres
Journal of Muscle Research & Cell Motility
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 87-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links