Isolated dihydroxyacetonephosphate acyltransferase deficiency presenting with developmental delay
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A boy aged 21 months who was being investigated for developmental delay and failure to thrive was found to have punctate epiphyseal calcification. He had no evidence of rhizomelic shortening of the limbs or cataracts. Investigation revealed defective plasmalogen synthesis due to isolated deficiency of dihydroxyacetonephosphate acyltransferase (DHAP-AT). The parents were consanguineous and a sister was similarly affected, suggesting autosomal recessive inheritance. Hitherto, recessively inherited isolated DHAP-AT deficiency has only been described in patients with a phenotype similar to that of rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata. This report indicates that the same biochemical disorder can be associated with a less severe phenotype.
- Barr DGD, Kirk JM, Al Howasi M, Wanders RJA, Schutgens RBH (1993) Rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata with isolated DHAP-AT deficiency.Arch Dis Child 68: 415–417.
- Björkhem I, Sisfontes L, Boström B, Kase BF, Blomstrand R (1986) Simple diagnosis of the Zellweger syndrome by gas liquid chromatography of dimethylacetals.J Lipid Res 27: 786–791.
- Clayton PT, Thompson M (1988) Dysmorphic syndromes with demonstrable biochemical abnormalities.J Med Genet 25: 463–472.
- Clayton PT, Kalter C, Atheron DJ, Besley GTN, Broadhead DM (1989) Peroxisomal enzyme deficiency in X-linked dominant Conradi-Hünermann syndrome.J Inher Metab Dis 12 (supplement 2): 358–360.
- Heikoop JC, Wanders RJ, Strijland A, Purvis R, Schutgens RBH, Tager JM (1992) Genetic and biochemical heterogeneity in patients with the rhizomelic form of chondrodysplasia punctata.Hum Genet 89: 439–444.
- Hoefler G, Hoefler S, Watkins PA et al (1988) Biochemical abnormalities in rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata.J Pediatr 112: 726–733.
- Holmes RD, Wilson GN, Hajra AK (1987) Peroxisomal enzyme deficiency in the Conradi-Hünermann form of chondrodysplasia punctata.N Engl J Med 316: 1608.
- Lazarow PB, Moser HW (1989) Disorders of peroxisomes biogenesis. In Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D, eds.The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, 6th edn. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Poll-The BT, Maroteaux P, Narcy C et al (1991) A new type of chondrodysplasia punctata associated with peroxisomal dysfunction.J Inher Metab Dis 14: 361–363.
- Schrakamp G, Schalwijk CG, Schutgens RB, Wanders RJ, Tager JM, Van den Bosch (1988) Plasmalogen biosynthesis in peroxisomal disorders: Fatty alcohol versus alkylglycerol precursors.J Lipid Res 29: 325–334.
- Schutgens RBH, Romeyn GJ, Wanders RJA, van den Bosch H, Schrakamp G, Heymans HSA (1984) Deficiency of acyl-CoA dihydroxyacetone phosphate acyltransferase in fibroblasts from patients with Zellweger (cerebrohepatorenal) syndrome.Biochem Biophys Res Commun 120: 179–184.
- Schutgens RBH, Heymans HSA, Wanders RJA et al (1988) Multiple peroxisomal enzyme deficiencies in rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata. Comparison with Zellweger syndrome, Conradi-Hünermann syndrome and X-linked dominant type of chondrodysplasia punctata.Adv Clin Enzymol 6: 57–65.
- Schutgens RBH, Nijenhuis AA, Wanders RJA, Fruman MEJ (1992) Peroxisomal disorders. Recent observations in the metabolism of very long chain fatty acids and plasmalogens.Int Pediatr 7: 294–303.
- Schutgens RBH, Bouman IW, Nijenhuis AA, Wanders RJA, Fruman MEJ (1993) Profiles of very long chain fatty acids in plasma, fibroblasts, and blood cells in Zellweger syndrome, X-linked ALD, and rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata.Clin Chem 39: 1632–1637.
- Wanders RJA, Heymans HSA, Schutgens RBH, Barth PG, van den Bosch H, Tager JM (1988) Peroxisomal disorders in neurology.J Neurol Sci 88: 1–39.
- Wanders RJA, van Roermund CWT, Griffioen M, Cohen L (1991) Peroxisomal enzyme activities in the human cell line HepG2 as compared to human liver.Biochim Biophys Acta 1115: 54–59.
- Wanders RJA, Schumacher H, Heikoop J, Schutgens RBH, Tager JM (1992) Human dihydroxyacetonephosphate acyltransferase deficiency: A new peroxisomal disorder.J Inher Metab Dis 15: 389–391.
- Wanders RJA, Dekker C, Horvath A et al (1994) Human alkylhydroxyacetonephosphate synthase deficiency: a new peroxisomal disorder.J Inher Metab Dis 17:315–318.
- Isolated dihydroxyacetonephosphate acyltransferase deficiency presenting with developmental delay
Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 533-540
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London
- 2. Metabolic Disease Unit, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
- 4. Department of Pediatrics and Clinical Biochemistry, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands