Speech and language impairment and psychiatric disorder: The relevance of family demographic variables
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Children with speech/language disorders are at increased risk for psychiatric problems, but the variables which mediate this relationship are unknown Using a speech/language impaired sample and a normal language control group, this study examined whether certain environmental factors distinguished children with psychiatric problems from those without psychiatric disorder. Though socioeconomic status, marital status and maternal education distinguished disturbed from normal children, none of the variables studied distinguished normal from clinical children within the speech/language impaired group.
- Beitchman JH, Nair R, Clegg M, Ferguson B, Patel PG: The prevalence of psychiatric disorders in children with speech and language disorders.J Am Acad Child Psychiat 25:528–535, 1986.
- Silva PA, Justin C, McGee R, Williams SM: Some developmental and behavioural characteristics of seven-year-old children with delayed speech development.Br J Disord Commun 19:147–154, 1984.
- Cantwell D, Baker L, Mattison R: The prevalence of psychiatric disorders in children with speech and language disorders: An epidemiological study.J Am Acad Child Psychiat 18:450–461, 1979.
- Richman N, Stevenson J: Language delay in three-year-old children: Family and social factors.Acta Paediatr Belg 30:213–219, 1977.
- Cantwell D, Baker L: Psychiatric and Learning Disorders in Children with Speech and Language Disorders: A descriptive analysis. In K Gadow (Ed.)Advances in Learning and Behavioral Disabilities Vol. 4. London: JAI Press Inc., 1985. pp 29–47.
- Beitchman JH: Speech and language impairment and psychiatric risk: Toward a model of neurodevelopmental immaturity.Psychiatric Clinics of North America 8:721–735, 1985.
- Cantwell D, Baker L, Mattison R: Psychiatric disorders in children with speech and language retardation: Factors associated with development.Arch Gen Psychiat 37:423–426, 1980.
- Baker L, Cantwell D: Psychiatric and Learning Disorders in Children with Speech and Language Disorders: A Critical Review. In K Gadow (Ed.)Advances in Learning and Behavioral Disabilities Vol. 4. London: JAI Press Inc., 1985, pp 1–28.
- Rutter M, Tizard J, Whitmore K:Education, Health and Behavior. London: Longman Group Ltd. 1970.
- Clausen JA: Family Structure, Socialization and Personality. In LW Hoffman, ML Hoffman (eds.)Review of Child Development Research, Vol. 2. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1966.
- Butler NR, Peckham C, Sheridan M: Speech defects in children aged seven years A national study.Br Med J 1:253–257, 1973.
- Randall D, Reynell J, Curwen M: A study of language development in a sample of three-year-old children.Br J Disord Commun 9:3–16, 1974.
- Cantwell DP, Baker L: Psychiatric disorder in children with speech and language retardation.Arch Gen Psychiat 18:450–461, 1977.
- Offord DR, Allen N, Abrams N: Parental psychiatric illness, broken homes and delinquency.J Am Acad Psychiat 17:224–238, 1978.
- Beitchman JH, Murray C, Minty G: A survey of referral problems to a psychiatric preschool program: Patient characteristics and therapeutic consideration.Can J Psychiat 26:323–329, 1981.
- Belmont L: Birth order, intellectual competence, and psychiatric status.J Individ Psychol 33:97–104, 1977.
- Bankson NW:Bankson Language Screening Test. Baltimore: University Park Press, 1977.
- Carrow E:Screening Test for Auditory Comprehension of Language. (5th ed.) Boston: Teaching Resources Corporation, 1973.
- Pendergast K, Dickey SE, Selmar JW, Soder AL:Photo Articulation Test, Illinois: Interstate Printers and Publishers, Inc., 1969.
- Newcomer PL, Hammill DD:The Test of Language Development (TOLD), Austin: Empiric Press, 1977.
- Dunn LM, Dunn LM:Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test Revised. Circle Pines: American Guidance Services Inc., 1981.
- Goldman R, Fristoe M, Woodcock RW:Goldman-Fristoe-Woodcock Auditory Memory Tests. Circle Pines: American Guidance Services Inc., 1974
- Conners CK: A Teacher Rating Scale for use in drug studies with children.Am J Psychiat 126:884–938, 1969.
- Achenbach TM, Edelbrock CS:Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist and Revised Child Behavior Profile. Burlington: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry, 1983.
- Trites RL, Blouin AGA, Laprade K: Factor analysis of the Conners Teacher Rating Scale based on a large normative sample.J Consult Clin Psychol 50:615–623, 1982.
- Blishen R, McRoberts HA: A revised socioeconomic index for occupations in Canada.The Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology 13:71–79, 1976.
- Douglas JWB, Ross JM, Simpson HR:All Our Future. Peter Davies, 1968.
- Record RG, McKeown T, Edwards JH: The relation of measured intelligence to birth order and maternal age.Ann Hum Genet 33:61–69, 1969.
- Rutter M, Madge N:Cycles of Disadvantage, London: Heineman Educational Books Ltd., 1976.
- Speech and language impairment and psychiatric disorder: The relevance of family demographic variables
Child Psychiatry and Human Development
Volume 18, Issue 4 , pp 191-207
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry and Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2. Chief, Child and Family Studies, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, 250 College Street, M5T 1R8, Toronto, Ontario
- 3. Child and Family Studies Centre, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Toronto, Canada
- 4. Department of Psychiatry, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Canada