On the actual measurability of the density matrix of a decaying system by means of measurements on the decay products
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The density matrix ρ describing a decaying system can be expressed in terms of correlations among observables belonging to the subsystems. Due to this structure and to the difficulties in measuring higher rank tensors of decay products for a single decay event, it is found that the mean value of ρ cannot be determined, in general, from measurements on the decay products. We also discuss the consequences of this conclusion as far as tests of quantum mechanics are concerned.
- J. von Neumann,Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics (Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 1955).
- F. A. Kaempffer,Concepts in Quantum Mechanics (Academic Press, New York, 1965).
- J. M. Jauch, inProceedings of the International School of Physics “Enrico Fermi,” Course IL (Academic Press, New York, 1971).
- V. Capasso, D. Fortunato, and F. Selleri,Int. J. Theor. Phys. 5, 319 (1973).
- D. Fortunato and F. Selleri,Int. J. Theor. Phys. 15, 333 (1976); D. Fortunato, A. Garuccio, and F. Selleri,Int. J. Theor. Phys. 16, 1 (1977).
- S. Bergia, F. Cannata, A. Cornia, and S. Ruffo,Am. J. Phys. 47(6), 548 (1979).
- B. O. Hultgren III and A. Shimony,J. Math. Phys. 18, 381 (1977).
- A. R. Swift and R. Wright,J. Math. Phys. 21, 77 (1980).
- On the actual measurability of the density matrix of a decaying system by means of measurements on the decay products
Foundations of Physics
Volume 10, Issue 9-10 , pp 723-730
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Bologna, Italy and Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare Sezione di Bologna, Istituto di Fisica dell'Università, Italy
- 2. Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Sezione di Bologna, Italy and Scuola di Perfezionamento in Fiscia, Università di Bologna, Italy
- 3. Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Sezione di Trieste, Italy