Microstructure and properties of an infra-red transmitting chalcogenide glass-ceramic
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A chalcogenide glass-ceramic (0.3 PbSe-0.7 Ge1.5 As0.5 Se3) which transmits in the infra-red region between 8 and 12 μm was produced from a phase separated parent glass. The glass transition temperature (T g) was increased from 280 to ∼ 340°C by crystallizing the phase with the lowerT g. Further heat-treatment produced a glass-ceramic that was up to 60% crystalline and contained PbSe, PbSe2 and GeSe2 crystals with a gran size of ∼ 0.5 μm. The infra-red transmission of the glass-ceramic decreased with increased crystallinity. The glass-ceramic modulus of rupture (38 MN m−2) was increased to as much as twice that of the glass and the Vickers hardness increased by 30% to ∼ 280 kg mm−2.
- M. Sparks,J. Appl. Phys. 42 (1971) 5029.
- P. F. Becher andR. W. Rice, Semi Annual Report No. 1, Naval Research Laboratory (ARPA Order No. 2031) (1972).
- T. F. Deutsch,J. Phys. Chem. Solids 34 (1974) 2091.
- L. L. Boyer, J. A. Harrington, M. Hass andH. B. Rosenstock,Phys. Rev. B 11 (1975) 1665.
- C. T. Moynihan, P. B. Macedo, M. S. Maklad, R. K. Mohr andR. E. Howard,J. Non-Crystalline Solids 17 (1975) 369.
- I. D. Aggarwal, C. T. Moynihan, P. B. Macedo, J. J. Mecholsky andG. R. Srinivasan,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 55 (7) (1972) 366.
- C. T. Moynihan, P. B. Macedo, I. D. Aggarwal andU. E. Schnaus,J. Non-Crystalline Solids 6 (1971) 322.
- G. H. Beall, D. A. Duke,J. Mater Sci. 4 (1969) 34.
- P. W. McMillian, “Glass-Ceramics” (Academic Press, New York, 1964).
- A. R. Hilton,J. Non-Crystalline Solids 2 (1970) 28.
- U. E. Schnaus andC. T. Moynihan,Mater. Sci. Engr. 7 (1971) 268.
- J. J. Mecholsky, G. R. Srinivasan, C. T. Moynihan andP. B. Macedo,J. Non-Crystalline Solids 11 (1973) 331.
- R. T. DeHoff, in “Characterization of Ceramics” edited byL. L. Hench andR. W. Gould, (Dekker, New Yorm, 1971) Ch. 18, p. 532.
- J. J. Mecholsky, R.W, Rice andS. W. Freiman,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 57 (10) (1974) 453.
- J. J. Mecholsky, S. W. Freiman andR. W. Rice,J. Mater. Sci. 11 (1976) 1310.
- A. M. Yefimov andV. F. Kokorina,Sov. J. Opt. Tech. 10 (Russ.) (1969) 43.
- J. A. Savage andS. Nielson,Infrared Physics 5 (1965) 195.
- G. R. Irwin,J. Appl. Mech. 29 (Trans. Amer. Soc. Mech. Engr.) (December 1962) 651.
- Microstructure and properties of an infra-red transmitting chalcogenide glass-ceramic
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 11, Issue 10 , pp 1952-1960
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors