The Perception of obesity by normal-weight versus obese school-age children
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There appears to be little difference between obese and normal weight children in their perceptions of obese individuals. Both groups of children endorse negative stereotypes of obese persons when information about body type is the only available cue. However, these stereotypes may be somewhat negated in the minds of both groups when the obese person is physically attractive and/or is in a position of authority.
- Adams GR: Physical attractiveness, personality, and social reactions to peer pressure.The Journal of Psychology 96:287–296, 1977
- Bruch H:The importance of overweight. New York, Norton, 1957.
- Byrne D, London O, Reeves K: The effects of physical attractiveness, sex, and attitude similarity on interpersonal attraction,Journal of Personality 36:259–271, 1968.
- Dion KK, Berscheid E: Physical attractiveness and peer perception among children,Sociometry 37:1–12, 1974.
- Langlois JH, Stephan C: The effects of physical appearance cues and interpersonal attraction in children.Child Development 45:305–310, 1977.
- Millen AC: Role of physical attractiveness in impression formation.Psychonomic Science 19:241–243, 1970.
- Lerner RM: The development of stereotyped expectancies of body build-behavior relations.Child Development 40:137–141, 1969.
- Staffieri JR: A study of social stereotype of body image in children.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 7:101–104, 1967.
- Lerner RM, Korn SJ: The development of body-build stereotypes in males.Child Development 43:908–920, 1972.
- Jarvie GJ:The influences of body build on social approach in the ninth grade. Paper presented to Biennial Meeting of the Southeastern Conference on Human Development, Athens, Georgia, 1984.
- Jarvie GJ:The influence of body build on adult partner selection in the first, third, and fifth grades. Paper presented to the Southeastern Psychological Association, New Orleans, 1984.
- Strauss C, Smith K, Frame C, Forehand R: Personal and interpersonal characteristics associated with childhood obesity.Journal of Pediatric Psychology 10:337–343, 1985.
- The Perception of obesity by normal-weight versus obese school-age children
Child Psychiatry and Human Development
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 113-120
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Marshall I. Pickens Hospital, Greenville Hospital System, Greenville, USA
- 2. Clinical Training Program, Department of Psychology, University of Georgia, 30602, Athens, GA
- 3. Georgia College, Georgia, USA
- 4. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, USA