SPRING 1989, Volume 16, Issue 3, pp 183-185
Why community mental health centers were started
- Walter E. Barton M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Walter E. Barton, M. D., is currently a professor (active emeritus) in the Department of Psychiatry at Dartmouth Medical School. He was the APA representative in the Joint Commission on Mental Illness and Health and a member of the “Braceland” Committee. Dr. Barton was president of the American Psychiatric Association (1961–1962) and its medical director in 1963, and worked actively to implement the recommendations of the JCMIH.
- Barton, W. E. (1987).The history and influence of the American psychiatric associations (pp. 122, 167, 210). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, Inc.
- Barton, W. E., Farrell, M. J., Lenekaw, F. T., & McLaughlin, W. F. (1961).Impressions of European psychiatry. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Grob, G. N. (1987). The forging of mental health policy in America: World War II to New Frontier.Journal of History of Medicine, 42, 410–446.
- Musto, D. F. (1974). The Community Mental Health Center Movement in historical perspective. In W. E. Barton, & C. J. Sanborn (Eds.),An assessment of the community mental health movement. Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
- Passamanick, B., Davis, A. E., & Dinitz, S. (1974).Schizophrenia in the new community: Five years after the experiment. Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press.
- Williams, G., & Ewalt, J. R. (1961).Action for mental health. New York: Basic Books.
- Why community mental health centers were started
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 183-185
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, 03756, Hanover, NH