Acoustic characterisation of thoracic body tissues in the audible frequency range
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A previous study by Jones and Thomas  suggests that data relating to the physiological condition within the thoracic cavity may be obtainable utilising low frequency acoustic signals applied to the mouth and detected on the chest wall. In order to evaluate the contribution to the mouth to chest wall frequency response of the separate elements within the thorax, and to estimate the effect on this response when the lung physiology changes, an acoustic model of the thorax is required. To aid the development of this model, experiments have been carried out in order to establish the frequency dependence of the acoustic attenuation and speed of propagation through thoracic tissue samples in the audible frequency range 20–500 Hz. Samples from the porcine family were used due to their physical similarity to those of humans and their being obtainable within a short time of death.
The results of this work can be utilised in the development of an acoustic model of the human thorax, this in turn enabling simulation and analysis of low frequency acoustic transmission from the trachea to the chest wall.
- McCredie, R.M.: Measurement of pulmonary edema in valvular heart disease,Circulation 36 (1967), 381–386.
- Jones, M.P. and Thomas, D.W.: Acoustic detection of physiological change within the thorax,International Conference of Acoustic Sensing and Imaging, IEE, London, 1993, 201–205.
- Cohen, A. and Berstein, A.D.: Acoustic transmission of the respiratory system using speech stimulation,IEEE Trans Biomed. Eng. 38 (1991), 126–132.
- Wodicka, G.R. and Shannon, D.C.: Transfer function of sound transmission in subglottal human respiratory system at low frequencies,J. Appl. Physiol. 69(6) (1990), 2126–2130.
- Wodicika, G.R., Stevens, K.N. and Shannon, D.C.: A theoretical model of sound transmission in the thorax,Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biological Society 11th Conf. 1 (1989), 248–249.
- Kraman, S.S. and Bohadana, A.B.: Transmission to the chest of sound introduced at the mouth,J. Appl. Physiol. 66(1) (1989), 278–281.
- Bohadana, A.B. and Kraman, S.S.: Transmission of sound generated by sternal percussion,J. Appl. Physiol. 66(1) (1989), 273–278.
- Rice, D.A.: Sound speed in pulmonary parenchyma,J. Appl. Physiol. 54 (1983), 304–308.
- Atochem Sensors Inc., Product Data Sheet. No 9(1989).
- Acoustic characterisation of thoracic body tissues in the audible frequency range
Journal of Biological Physics
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 113-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- speed of sound