- Allan Gibbard
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
I am grateful for the comments and criticisms of many people. I was helped in the early stages of revision by discussion at the University of Pittsburgh philosophy colloquium, by the written comments of Richard Gale and Paul Teller, and by discussion with Allen Hazen, Robert Kraut, and Storrs McCall. I am especially grateful to Anil Gupta for his extensive help, both in the early and the late stages of revision.
- BressanAldo,A General Interpreted Modal Calculus, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 1972.
- CarnapRudolph,Meaning and Necessity, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1947.
- FregeGottlob, ‘On Sense and Reference’ (trans. by Max Black), in Peter Geach and Max Black,Translations from the Philosophical Writings of Gottlob Frege, Blackwell, Oxford, pp. 55–78, 1966 (1892).
- GeachPeter,Reference and Generality, Cornell University Press, Ithica, N.Y., 1962.
- KripkeSaul, ‘Semantical Considerations on Modal Logic’,Acta Philosophica Fennica 16 (1963) 83–94.
- KripkeSaul, ‘Identity and Necessity, in Milton K.Munitz (ed.),Identity and Individuation, New York University Press, New York, pp. 135–64, 1971.
- KripkeSaul, ‘Naming and Necessity’, in DonaldDavidson and GilbertHarman (eds.),Semantics of Natural Language, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, 1972.
- LewisDavid K., ‘Counterparts of Persons and their Bodies’,Journal of Philosophy 68 (1971) 203–11.
- Lewis, David K.,Counterfactuals, blackwell and Harvard University Press, 1973.
- ParsonsTerrence, ‘Essentialism and Quantified Modal Logic’,Philosophical Review 78 (1969) 35–52.
- QuineW.V.O., ‘Identity, Ostension, and Hypostasis’, InFrom a Logical Point of View, Harper and Row, New York, pp. 65–79, 1961 (1950).
- Quine, W.V.O., ‘Reference and Modality’,From a Logical Point of View (Second Edition, pp. 139–59, 1961.
- QuineW.V.O.,Set Theory and Its Logic, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1963.
- RussellBertrand, ‘On Denoting’, in RobertMarsh (ed.),Logic and Knowledge, Macmillan, New York, pp. 41–56, 1956 (1905).
- Stalnaker, Robert, ‘A Theory of Conditionals’, inStudies in Logical Theory, American Philosophical Quarterly Monograph Series, No. 2, 1968.
- StalnakerRobert and ThomasonRichmond, ‘A Semantic Analysis of Conditional Logic’,Theoria 36 (1970) 23–42.
- ThomasonRichmond and StalnakerRobert, ‘Modality and Reference’,Nous 2 (1968) 359–72.
- Contingent identity
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 187-221
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Allan Gibbard (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa., USA