The biodiversity supergame
- Scott Barrett
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper considers the ability of developed countries to sustain a cooperative agreement to compensate developing countries for the “incremental costs” of biodiversity conservation. It is shown that, depending on certain parameter values and the model specification, such an agreement could only codify the non-cooperative outcome or achieve the full cooperative outcome where global net benefits are maximized. However, where the agreement can sustain the full cooperative outcome, net benefits will be only slightly larger than in the noncooperative outcome.
- Barrett, S. (1990), ‘The Problem of Global Environmental Protection’,Oxford Review of Economic Policy 6, 68–79.
- Barrett, S. (1992), ‘Economic Growth and Environmental Preservation’,Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 23, 289–300.
- Barrett, S. (1993a), ‘Self-Enforcing International Environmental Agreements’, mimeo, London Business School and Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment.
- Barrett, S. (1993b), ‘Heterogeneous International Environmental Agreements’, mimeo, London Business School and Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment.
- Barrett, S. (1993c), ‘Optimal Economic Growth and the Conservation of Biological Diversity’, in E. Barbier, ed.,Economics and Ecology, London: Chapman & Hall.
- Farrell, J. and E. Maskin (1989), ‘Renegotiation in Repeated Games’,Games and Economic Behavior 1, 327–360.
- Sedjo, R. A. (1992), ‘Preserving Biodiversity as a Resource’,Resources c 106, 26–29.
- Shapley, L. S. and M. Shubik (1969), ‘On the Core of an Economic System with Externalities’,American Economic Review 59, 678–684.
- Solow, A., S. Polasky, and J. Broadus (1993), ‘On the Measurement of Biological Diversity’,Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 24, 60–68.
- Weitzman, M. L. (1992), ‘On Diversity’,Quarterly Journal of Economics 107, 363–406.
- World Commission on Environment and Development (1987),Our Common Future, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- The biodiversity supergame
Environmental and Resource Economics
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 111-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- international agreements
- Industry Sectors
- Scott Barrett (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. London Business School, Sussex Place, Regent's Park, NW1 4SA, London, U.K.
- 2. Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment, University College London, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT, London, U.K.