Embedding unfrozen lake sediments for thin section preparation
- Scott F. Lamoureux
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method for subsampling and embedding unfrozen sediments is described. The method requires commonly available equipment and can be implemented efficiently and cost-effectively. Thin sections prepared from the embedded unfrozen sediments preserve very fine structural detail, without interruption due to ice-crystal casts. The method provides a viable alternative to subsampling methods requiring either frozen sediments or specialized equipment.
- Clark, J. S., 1988. Stratigraphic charcoal analysis on petrographic thin sections: application to fire history in Northwestern Minnesota. Quat. Res. 30: 81–91.
- Ludlam, S. D., 1981. Sedimentation rates in Fayettville Green Lake, New York, USA. Sedimentology 28: 85–96.
- Polysciences, 1992. Spurr low-viscosity embedding media, data sheet #127. Warrington, PA, 2 pp.
- Renberg, I., 1981. Improved methods for sampling, photographing, and varve-counting of varved lake sediments. Boreas 10: 255–258.
- Embedding unfrozen lake sediments for thin section preparation
Journal of Paleolimnology
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 141-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Geology and Geography, University of Massachusetts, 01003-5820, Amherst, MA, USA