Precision second-sound velocity measurements in helium II
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The velocity of second soundu 2 in helium II under its saturated vapor pressure was measured in an acoustic resonator with a typical precision of 0.07% and was found to agree with existing measurements. Data were taken from 1.135 to 2.09 K, with special attention given to the local maximum near 1.65 K, which can be used as a temperature reference point. A least squares cubic spline fit is given to the present data and selected data of other authors givingu 2 from 0.55 K to within 60 µK of Tλ.
- L. D. Landau,J. Phys. Moscow 5, 71 (1941).
- I. Rudnick,New Directions in Physical Acoustics (International School of Physics, Vol. LXIII; Soc. Italiana di Fisica, Bologna, 1976).
- C. F. Barenghi, R. J. Donnelly, and W. F. Vinen,J. Low Temp. Phys. 52, 189 (1983).
- C. F. Barenghi, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Oregon (1982), unpublished.
- N. Giordano,J. Low Temp. Phys. 55, 495 (1984).
- G. K. White,Experimental Techniques in Low-Temperature Physics (Clarendon, Oxford, 1979), p. 377.
- H. Van Dijk, M. Durieux, J. R. Clement, and J. K. Logan,The 1958 4 He Scale of Temperatures (National Bureau of Standards (U.S.) Monograph No. 10; U.S. GPO, Washington, D.C., 1960).
- W. Y. Tam and G. Ahlers,J. Low Temp. Phys. 66, 173 (1987).
- J. Heiserman, J. P. Hulin, J. Maynard, and I. Rudnick,Phys. Rev. B 14, 3862 (1976).
- V. P. Peshkov,Sov. Phys. JETP 11, 580 (1960).
- D. Greywall and G. Ahlers,Phys. Rev. A 7, 2145 (1973).
- R. J. Donnelly, J. A. Donnelly, and R. N. Hills,J. Low Temp. Phys. 44, 471 (1981).
- Precision second-sound velocity measurements in helium II
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 68, Issue 5-6 , pp 409-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors