The effects of sewage on alpine streams in Kosciusko National Park, NSW
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The impact of resort developments in three alpine streams of Kosciusko National Park was examined by the State Pollution Control Commission of NSW over 1981 and 1982. Physico-chemical measurements such as nutrient concentrations, stream flow and temperature were correlated with measures of periphyton growth using artificial substrates and the Thomas (1978) method for estimation of in-stream biomass.
Stream flow was the major physical parameter controlling in-stream periphyton growth, far outweighing seasonal temperature variations. Nutrients emanating from resort developments were also a major influence on biomass and taxa. Natural accumulations occurred upstream of resort developments under low flow conditions and were associated with taxa typical of clean water conditions. The relationships between periphyton biomass and nutrient loads could be quantified.
- Antoine, S. E. and Benson-Evans, K.: 1985, ‘Phycoperiphyton Development on an Artificial Substrate in the River Wye System, U.K. Part 1. Biomass Variation’,Acta Hydrochim. Hydrobiol. 13 (3), 277–296.
- American Public Health Association: 1975, ‘Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater’, APHA-AWWA-WPCF, 14th Edition.
- Bahls, L. L.: 1973, ‘Diatom Community Response to Primary Wastewater Effluent’,J. Water Pollution Control Fed. 45. 134–144.
- Bohm, W.: 1979, ‘Methods of Studying Root Systems’, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Cairns, J. and Dickson, K. L.: (eds.): 1973, ‘Biological Methods for the Assessment of Water Quality’, American Society for Testing and Materials, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA.
- Cullen, P.: 1983, ‘Sewage Effluent Disposal to the Crackenback River: The Assimilation Capacity of an Upland Stream’, Report to Kosciusko Thredbo Pty. Ltd., Hydrocon, A.C.T.
- Cullen, P.: 1985, ‘Effluent Disposal to Rivers: The Concept of Assimilation Capacity’,Search 16 (5–6), 149–151.
- Department of Environment and Planning, N.S.W.: 1983, ‘Kosciusko Regional Environmental Study (Snowy River)’, DEP., Sydney.
- Edwards, A. C. and Cresser, M. S.: 1987, ‘Relationships Between Ultraviolet Absorbance and Total Organic Carbon in two Upland Catchments’,Water Res. 21, 49–56.
- Eichenberger, E. and Schlatter, A.: 1978, ‘Effect of Herbivorous Insects on the Production of Benthic Algal Vegetation in Outdoor Channels’,Verh. Internat. Verein. Limmol. 20, 1806–1810.
- Hamilton, P. B. and Duthie, H. C.: 1984, ‘Periphyton Colonization of Rock Surfaces in a Boreal Forest Stream Studied by Scanning Electron Microscopy and Autoradiography’,J. Phycology 20, 525–532.
- Hellawel, J. M.: 1986,Biological Indicators of Freshwater Pollution and Environmental Management, Elsevier Applied Science, London.
- Holland, J.: 1982,Studies of the Diatoms Found in Selected Alpine Streams in the Kosciusko National Park in N.S.W., Australia, Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board, Sydney.
- Jolly, V. H. and Chapman, M. A.: 1966, ‘A Preliminary Biological Study of the Effects of Pollution on Farmer's Creek and Cox's River, New South Wales’,Hydrobiologia 27, 160–192.
- Jones, J. R., Smart, M. M., and Burroughs, J. N.: 1984, ‘Factors Related to Algal Biomass in Missouri Ozark Streams’,Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 22, 1867–1875.
- Lamberti, G. A. and Resh, V. H.: 1983, ‘Stream Periphyton and Insect Herbivores: An Experimental Study of Grazing by a Caddisfly Population’,Ecology 64, 1124–1135.
- Lay, J. A. and Ward, A. K.: 1987, ‘Algal Community Dynamics in Two Streams Associated with Different Geological Regions in the South-Eastern United States’,Arch. Hydrobiol. 108, 305–324.
- Lowe, R. L. and Gale, W. F.: 1980, ‘Monitoring River Periphyton with Artificial Benthic Substrates’,Hydrobiologia 69, 235–244.
- McIvor, C. C.: 1976, ‘The Effects of Organic and Nutrient Enrichment on the Benthic Macroinvertebrate Community of Moggill Creek, Queensland’,Water 3 (4), 16–21.
- McLean, R. O. and Besnon-Evans, K.: 1974, ‘The Distribution ofStigeoclonium tenue Kutz in South Wales in Relation to its Use as an Indicator of Organic Pollution’,Brit. Phycological J. 9, 83–89.
- Nielsen, T. S., Funk, W. H., Gibbons, H. L., and Duffner, R. M.: 1984, ‘A Comparison of Periphyton Growth on Artificial and Natural Substrates in the Upper Spokane River’,Northwest Science 58 (4), 243–248.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service of N.S.W.: 1982,Kosciusko National Park, Plan of Management, Sydney.
- Patrick, R.: 1971, ‘The Effects of Increasing Light and Temperature on the Structure of Diatom Communities’,Limnol. and Oceanog. 16, 405–421.
- Prescott, G. W.: 1981,The Freshwater Algae, W. C. Brown, Iowa.
- Simmons, B. L.: 1983,Use of Chlorophyll-a Concentration as an Indicator of Phytoplankton Biomass., Proc. A.W.R.C. Workshop: ‘Surface Water Resources Data’, Nov. 1983, Aust., Govt., Publishing Serv.
- Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation: 1981,Extended Review of the Occurence of Low Flows in the Crackenback River, Report prepared for Kosciusko-Thredbo Pty Ltd., S.M.E.C.
- Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electricity Authority: 1970,Streamflow Records of the Snowy Mountains Region, Australia to 1965, Volume 3, Snowy River Basin.
- State Pollution Control Commission: 1983,Water Quality in the Hawkesbury-Nepean River, Sydney.
- Steinman, A. D. and McIntire, C. D.: 1986, ‘Effects of Current Velocity and Light Energy on the Structure of Periphyton Assemblages in Laboratory Streams’,J. Phycology 22, 352–361.
- Thomas, E. A.: 1978, ‘Mass Growth of Algae and Macrophytes in Streams; Method, Cause and Prevention’,Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 20, 1796–1799.
- Thorpe, N. W. and Williams, I. L.: 1980,A Guide to the Use of Algae for the Biological Surveillance of Rivers, Department of Environment, U.K., Water Data Unit, Tech., Memorandum #20.
- Traaen, T. S.: 1978, ‘Effects of Effluents from a Variety of Sewage Treatment Methods on Primary Productivity, Respiration and Algal Communities in Artificial Stream Channels’,Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 20, 1767–1771.
- The effects of sewage on alpine streams in Kosciusko National Park, NSW
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 14, Issue 2-3 , pp 275-295
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors