Level I theory of large deviations in the ideal gas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
LetX 1,X 2,... be i.i.d. random elements (the states of the particles 1,2,...). Letf be an ℝd-valued, measurable function (an observable) and letB ⊂Rdbe a convex Borel set. DenoteS n=f(X1)+f(X2)+...+f(Xn). Using large-deviation theory, it may be shown that, under certain regularity conditions, there exists a point υB (the dominating point of B) so that, givenS n/nε B, actually Sn/n→υ B in probability as n→∞. Having this conditional weak law of large numbers as our starting point, we consider physical systems of independent particles, especially the ideal gas. Given an observed energy level, we derive convergence results for empirical means, empirical distributions, and microcanonical distributions. Results are obtained for a closed system with a fixed number of particles as well as for an open particle system in the space (a Poisson random field). Our approach is elementary in the sense that we need not refer to the abstract “level II” theory of large deviations. However, the treatment is not restricted to the so-called discrete ideal gas, but we consider the continuous ideal gas.
- Aizenman, M., Goldstein, S., and Lebowitz, J. L. (1978).Communications in Mathematical Physics,62, 279–302.
- Csiszar, I. (1984).Annals of Probability,12, 768–793.
- Dobrushin, R. L., and Tirozzi, B. (1977).Communications in Mathematical Physics,54, 173–192.
- Ellis, R. S. (1985).Entropy, Large Deviations and Statistical Mechanics, Springer, New York.
- Lanford, O. E. (1973). Entropy and equilibrium states in classical statistical mechanics, inStatistical Mechanics and Mathematical Problems, Springer, Berlin, pp. 1–113.
- Martin-Löf, A. (1979).Statistical Mechanics and the Foundations of Thermodynamics, Springer, Berlin.
- Ney, P. (1983).Annals of Probability 11, 158–167.
- Nummelin, E. (1987). A conditional weak law of large numbers, in Proceedings of the Seminar on Stability Problems for Stochastic Models, Suhumi, USSR. Lecture Notes in Mathematics,1142, 259–262.
- Rockafellar, R. T. (1970).Convex Analysis, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey.
- Level I theory of large deviations in the ideal gas
International Journal of Theoretical Physics
Volume 29, Issue 6 , pp 621-635
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors