Evidence for two distinct calcium channels in rat vascular smooth muscle cells in short-term primary culture
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Smooth muscle cells were isolated from rat portal vein and studied during short-term primary culture using the whole-cell patch-clamp technique. Two distinct types of Ca channel could be separated by studying the inward currents in Ba solutions. The rapidly inactivating current was present when cells were held at very negative potentials (−80 mV). This current was prominent for relatively small depolarizations and was insensitive to nifedipine. A slowly inactivating current, corresponding to the slow Ca current previously reported in smooth muscles, was observed at less negative holding potentials (−50 mV), was prominent for positive depolarizations and was blocked by low concentrations of nifedipine. Both currents were unaffected by tetrodotoxin and both were blocked by Co.
- Carbone E, Lux HD (1984). A low voltage-activated calcium conductance in embryonic chick sensory neurons. Biophys. J. 46: 413–418.
- Bossu JL, Feltz A, Thomann JM (1985). Depolarization elicits two distinct calcium currents in vertebrate sensory neurones. Pflügers Arch. 403: 360–368.
- Nowycky MC, Fox AP, Tsien RW (1985). Three types of neuronal calcium channel with different calcium agonist sensitivity. Nature 316: 440–443.
- Fedulova, SA, Kostyuk PG, Veselosky NS (1985). Two types of calcium channels in the somatic membrane of new-born rat dorsal root ganglion neurones. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 359: 431–446.
- Matteson DR, Armstrong, CM (1986). Properties of two types of calcium channels in clonal pituitary cells. J. Gen. Physiol. 87: 161–182.
- Nilius B, Hess P, Lansman JB, Tsien RW (1985). A novel type of cardiac calcium channel in ventricular cells. Nature 316: 443–446.
- Bean, BP (1985). Two kinds of calcium channels in canine atrial cells. Differences in kinetics, selectivity and pharmacology. J. Gen. Physiol. 86: 1–30.
- Cognard C, Lazdunski M, Romey G (1986). Different types of Ca channels in mammalian skeletal muscle cells in culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83: 517–521.
- Friedman ME, Suarez-Kurtz G, Koczorowski J, Katz GM, Reuben JP (1986). Two calcium currents in a smooth muscle cell line. Amer. J. Physiol. 250: H699-H703.
- Hamill OP, Marty A, Neher E, Sakmann E, Sigworth FJ (1981). Improved patch-clamp techniques for high-resolution current recording from cells and cell-free membrane patches. Pflügers Arch. 391: 85–100.
- Bolton, TB, Lang RJ, Takewaki T, Benham CD (1985). Patch and whole-cell voltage clamp of single mammalian visceral and vascular smooth muscle cells. Experientia 41: 887–894.
- Klöckner U, Isenberg G (1985). Calcium currents of cesium loaded isolated smooth muscle cells (urinary bladder of the guinea pig). Pflügers Arch. 405: 340–348.
- Droogmans G, Callewart G (1986). Ca2+-channel current and its modification by the dihydropyridine agonist Bay K8644 in isolated smooth muscle cells. Pflügers Arch. 406: 259–265.
- Mironneau J, Gargouil YM (1979). Action of indapamide on excitation-contraction coupling in vascular smooth muscle. European J. Pharmacol. 57: 57–67.
- Fleckenstein A (1983). Calcium antagonism in heart and smooth muscle. Experimental facts and therapeutic aspects. Wiley, New York.
- Sperelakis NC (1985). Comparison of the effects of several calcium antagonistic drugs and mechanisms of action. In: Mironneau J (ed) Calcium regulations in smooth muscle: biochemical and physiological aspects, 124: 425–444. Inserm, Paris.
- Evidence for two distinct calcium channels in rat vascular smooth muscle cells in short-term primary culture
Volume 407, Issue 5 , pp 566-568
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Dissociated vascular cells
- Rat portal vein
- Calcium currents
- Whole-cell patch-clamp
- Industry Sectors