Orbital dynamics of the Anderson-Brinkman-Morel phase of superfluid3He
- M. C. Cross
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The orbital dynamics of the Anderson-Brinkman-Morel (ABM) phase of helium 3 is studied in both the hydrodynamic and collisionless limits. The complete equations for the orbital motion in the hydrodynamic limit are written down and the important parameters are evaluated by simple arguments. In the collisionless limit the matrix kinetic equation, not including the dipole interaction or Fermi liquid corrections, is inverted exactly to give a form that explicitly displays the various collective modes possible. The existence of an intrinsic orbital angular momentum density of order θ s ħ(T c/E F) 2 and the “moment of intertia” term suggested by Leggett and Takagi is confirmed, and a physical understanding of their origin is given. However, in both collisionless and hydrodynamic limits the interaction with the normal fluid dominates the motion except very near zero temperature.
- P. W. Anderson and P. Morel,Phys. Rev. 123, 1911 (1961).
- P. G. De Gennes,Phys. Lett. 44A, 271 (1973).
- A. J. Leggett,Ann. Phys. 35, 11 (1974).
- R. Balian and N. R. Werthamer,Phys. Rev. 131, 1553 (1963).
- A. J. Leggett, private communication.
- R. Graham,Phys. Rev. Lett. 33, 1431 (1974); R. Graham and H. Pleiner,Phys. Rev. Lett. 34, 792 (1975).
- M. C. Cross,J. Low Temp. Phys. 21, 525 (1975).
- P. C. Martin, O. Parodi, and P. S. Pershan,Phys. Rev. A 6, 2401 (1972).
- K. Maki and H. Eibsawa,J. Low Temp. Phys. 22, 285 (1976).
- A. J. Leggett,Rev. Mod. Phys. 47, 331 (1975).
- P. W. Anderson and W. F. Brinkman, inThe Helium Liquids (Proceedings of the Fifteenth Scottish Universities Summer School in Physics), J. G. M. Armitage and I. E. Farquhar, eds. (Academic Press, London, 1975).
- M. C. Cross and P. W. Anderson, inProc. 14th Int. Conf. Low Temp. Phys., M. Krusius and M. Vuorio, eds. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975).
- C. J. Pethick and H. Smith,Phys. Rev. Lett. 37, 226 (1976).
- J. C. Wheatley, private communication.
- O. Bethbeder-Matibet and P. Nozières,Ann. Phys. 51, 392 (1969); P. Wolfle,J. Low Temp. Phys. 22, 157 (1976).
- A. J. Leggett and S. Takagi,Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 1379 (1976).
- B. R. Patton, inProc. 14th Int. Conf. Low Temp. Phys., M. Krusius and M. Vuorio, eds. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975).
- R. Combescot,Phys. Rev. Lett. 35, 1646 (1975).
- P. Wolfle, inQuantum Statistics and the Many-Body Problem, S. B. Trickey, W. P. Kirk, and J. W. Duffy, eds. (Plenum Press, New York, 1975), p. 9.
- J. W. Serene, Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University (1974), unpublished.
- G. E. Volovik,JETP Lett. 22, 198 (1975).
- D. N. Paulson, M. Krusius, and J. C. Wheatley,Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 1322 (1976).
- N. D. Mermin and T.-L. Ho,Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 594 (1976).
- M. Combescot and R. Combescot,Phys. Rev. Lett. 37, 388 (1976).
- Orbital dynamics of the Anderson-Brinkman-Morel phase of superfluid3He
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 26, Issue 1-2 , pp 165-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- M. C. Cross (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey