Hydromagnetic stability of a gas-liquid interface of coaxial cylinders
- Ahmed E. Radwan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The magnetohydrodynamic stability of a finite hollow jet acting it up on the capilarity, inertia and electromagnetic forces has been developed. A general eigenvalue relation is derived and studied analytically and the results are confirmed numerically and interpreted physically to all possible modes of perturbations. The model is capillary unstable to small axisymmetric disturbance and stable for all other disturbances. The model is magnetodynamic stable to all possible modes of perturbations for all (short and long) wavelengths. The magnetic field exerts a strong stabilizing influence not only to axisymmetric disturbance which causes only the bending of the magnetic lines of force but also to the non-axisymmetric disturbances that also leads to twisting of lines. It is found that the capillary instability is quickly decreasing with increasing the magnetic field intensities and, moreover, above a certain value of the basic magnetic field the capillary instability is completely suppressed and stability sets in.
Numerous reported works are recovered as limiting cases from the present general work.
- Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I.: 1970,Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover Publ., New York, p. 376
- Callebaut, D. K., Radwan, A. E., and Elazab, S. S.: 1986,Europ. Phys. Soc. 10D, 15.
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1981,Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability, Dover Publ., New York.
- Kakutani, T., Inoue, Y., and Kan, I.: 1974,J. Phys. Soc. Japan 37, 529.
- Kendall, J. M.: 1986,Phys. Fluids 29, 2086.
- Kendall, J. M., Lee, M. C., and Wang, T. G.: 1982,J. Vacuum Sci. Tech. 20, 1091.
- Lee, C. P. and Wang, J. G.: 1986,Phys. Fluids 29, 2076.
- Nayfeh, A. H.: 1970,Phys. Fluids 13, 841.
- Nayfeh, A. H. and Hassan, S.: 1971,J. Fluid Mech. 48, 63.
- Plateau, J.: 1873,Statique experimentale et théorique des liquides soumis aux seules forces moleculaires, Vols. 1 and 2, Gauthier-Villars, Paris.
- Radwan, A. E.: 1989,J. Phys. Soc. Japan 58, No. 4, 1225.
- Radwan, A. E. and Callebaut, D. K.: 1986,Proc. Belg. Phys. Soc. P.P. 21.
- Radwan, A. E. and Elazab, S. S.: 1987,Simon Stevin 61, 293.
- Rayleigh, J. W.: 1945,The Theory of Sound, Vols. 1 and 2, Dover Publ., New York.
- Wang, D. P.: 1968,J. Fluid Mech. 34, 299.
- Hydromagnetic stability of a gas-liquid interface of coaxial cylinders
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 161, Issue 2 , pp 279-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Ahmed E. Radwan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt