The cascading of cosmic-ray nuclei in various media
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
More than a thousand interactions of primary heavy nuclei of the cosmic radiation with charge ≥10 and energy >1 GeV nucleon−1 in nuclear emulsion have been studied with emphasis on how the primary nucleus fragments. It has been determined that the cases of multiple successive fragmentations that have been observed do not occur more frequently than expected. The fragmentation ofZ>20 nuclei does depend on the target nucleus to some extent so it is important to try to separate the interactions in emulsion by theirN h (number of evaporation prongs). The fragmentation of 8 16 O at 2.1 GeV nucleon−1 measured at the Bevalac shows a similar dependence on target nucleus. By using data from these new interactions combined with published data we have simulated on a computer nuclear cascades in both emulsion and air. Results on these cascades are given for both primary silicon and primary iron nuclei. These results are used to discuss the fluctuations expected in extensive air showers produced by heavy primary nuclei.
- Andersson, B., Otterlund, I., and Kristiansson, K.: 1966,Arkiv. Fysik 31, 527.
- Badhwar, G. D., Durgaprasad, N., and Vijayalakshmi, B.: 1965,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. 61, 374.
- Cleghorn, T.F., Freier, P. S., and Waddington, C. J.: 1968,Can. J. Phys. 46, 5572.
- Dixon, H. E., Turver, K. E., and Waddington, C. J.: 1974,Proc. Roy. Soc. London,A339, 157.
- Dixon, H. E., Earnshaw, J. C., Hook, J. R., Smith, G. J., and Turver, K. E.: 1973,Proc. Denver Cosmic Rays Conf. 4, p. 2473.
- Fowler, P. H., Hillier, R. R., and Waddington, C. J.: 1957,Phil. Mag. 2, 293.
- Friedlander, E., and Spirchez, M.: 1961,Nucl. Sci. Abstr. 15, 3457.
- Friedlander, M. W., Neelakantan, R. A., Tokunaga, S., Stevenson, G. R., and Waddington, C. J.: 1963,Phil. Mag. 8, 1691.
- Hillier, R. R. and Waddington, C. J.: 1957,Nuovo Cimento 6, 403.
- Judek, B.: 1968,Can. J. Phys. 46, 343.
- Judek, B.: 1972,Can. J. Phys. 50, 2082.
- Lindstrom, P. J., Greiner, D. E., Heckman, H. H., Cork, B., and Bieser, F. S.: 1973, paper presented atSymposium on Isotopic Composition, Durham, New Hampshire, also LBL-3650 preprint.
- Milone, A.: 1954,Suppl. Nuovo Cimento 12, 354.
- Rajopadhye, V. Y. and Waddington, C. J.: 1958,Phil. Mag. 3, 19.
- Tokunaga, S., Ishii, T., and Nishikawa, K.: 1957,Nuovo Cimento 5, 517.
- Waddington, C. J.: 1960,Phil. Mag. 5, 311.
- Yagoda, H.: 1956,Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. II64.
- Yagoda. H.: 1958,Geophys. Res. Papers, No. 50.
- The cascading of cosmic-ray nuclei in various media
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 419-436
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links