Dust in cosmic plasma environments
- D. A. Mendis
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cosmic dust is invariably immersed in a plasma and a radiative environment. Consequently, it is charged to some electrostatic potential which depends on the properties of the environment as well as the nature of the dust. This charging affects the physical and dynamical properties of the dust. In this paper the basic aspects of this dust-plasma interaction in several cosmic environments — including planetary magnetospheres, the heliosphere and the interstellar medium — are discussed. The physical and dynamical consequences of the interaction, as well as the pertinent observational evidence, are reviewed. Finally, the importance of the surface charge during the condensation process in plasma environments is stressed.
- Alfvén, H. and Arrhenius, G.: 1976,Evolution of the Solar System, NASA SP-345.
- Biermann, L.: 1967, in J. L. Weinberg (ed.),The Zodiacal Light and the Interplanetary Medium, NASA SP-150, p. 279.
- Brownlee, D. E., Tomandl, D., Blanchard, M. B., Ferry, G. V., Kyte, F. (1976) NASA TMX 73: pp. 152
- De, B. R.: 1979,J. Chem. Phys. (in press).
- Fechtig, H., Grun, E. and Morfill, G.: 1978, Paper read at the XXIth Plenary Meeting of COSPAR, Innsbruck, Austria, June 1978. To appear in theProceedings, M. J. Rycroft (ed.).
- Feuerbacher, B., Willis, R. F., Fitton, B. (1973) Astrophys. J. 181: pp. 101
- Hill, J. R. and Mendis, D. A.: 1979a,The Moon and the Planets (in press).
- Hill, J. R. and Mendis, D. A.: 1979b (In preparation).
- Kinard, W. H., O'Neal, R. L., Alvarez, J. M., Humes, D. H. (1974) Science 183: pp. 321
- Mendis, D. A., Axford, W. E. (1974) Ann. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci. 2: pp. 419
- Mendis, D. A.: 1978, Paper read at the XXIth Plenary Meeting of COSPAR, Innsbruck, Austria, June 1978, To appear in theProceedings, M. J. Rycroft (ed.).
- Öpik, E. J.: 1956,Irish Astron. J.,A84.
- Parker, E. N. (1964) Astrophys. J. 139: pp. 951
- Parthasarathy, R. (1978) Astrophys. J. 83: pp. 1235
- Rhee, J. W.: 1967, in J. L. Weinberg (ed.),The Zodiacal Light and the Interplanetary Medium, NASA SP-150, p. 291.
- Rhee, J. W.: 1976, in H. Elsasser and H. Fechtig (eds),Interplanetary Dust and Zodiacal Light, Springer-Verlag, p. 238.
- Sekanina, Z.: 1976, in B. Donnet al. (eds),The Study of Comets, NASA SP-393, p. 893.
- Sodha, M. S., Guha, S. (1971) Advances in Plasma Physics 4: pp. 219
- Spitzer, L. (1941) Astrophys. J. 93: pp. 369
- Spitzer, L. Jr: 1978,Physical Processes in the Interstellar Medium, Wiley, Interscience, p. 198.
- Watson, W. D. (1972) Astrophys. J. 176: pp. 103
- Wickramasinghe, N. C. (1974) Astrophys. Space Sci. 28: pp. 525
- Dust in cosmic plasma environments
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 65, Issue 1 , pp 5-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- D. A. Mendis (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept of Applied Physics and Information Science, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, U.S.A.