The progressive in English: Events, states and processes
- Terence Parsons
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper has two goals. The first is to formulate an adequate account of the semantics of the progressive aspect in English: the semantics of ‘Agatha is making a cake’, as opposed to ‘Agatha makes a cake’. This account presupposes a version of the so-called “Aristotelian” classification of verbs in English into EVENT, PROCESS and STATE verbs. The second goal of this paper is to refine this classification so as to account for the infamous “category switch” problem, the problem of how it is that modification of a verb like ‘run’ by an adverbial like ‘to the store’ can turn a PROCESS phrase (‘run’) into an EVENT phrase (‘run to the store’). Views discussed include those of Aqvist, Bach, Bennett, Bennett and Partee, Dowry, Montague and Scott, and Vendler.
- Aqvist, L.: 1977, ‘On the Analysis of Some Accomplishment and Activity Verbs'’ in Rohrer (1977).
- Bach, E.: 1979, ‘Topics in English Metaphysics’, 1979 draft. Revised versions of parts appear in Bach (1981), (1986a), (1986b).
- Bach, E.: 1981, ‘On Time, Tense, and Aspect: An Essay in English Metaphysics’, in Peter Cole (ed.),Radical Pragmatics, Academic Press, New York, pp. 63–81.
- Bach, E.: 1983, ‘On the Relationship between Word-grammar and Phrase-grammar’,Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 1, 65–80.
- Bach, E.: 1986a, ‘The Algebra of Events’,Linguistics and Philosophy 9, 5–16.
- Bach, E.: 1986b, ‘Natural Language Metaphysics’, in Ruth Barcan-Marcus, Georg J. W. Dorn and Paul Weingartner (eds.),Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science VII, North Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 573–95.
- Bartsch, R.: 1976,The Grammar of Adverbials, North Holland, New York.
- Bennett, M.: 1977, ‘A Guide to the Logic of Tense and Aspect in English’,Logique et Analyse 20, 491–517.
- Bennett, M.: 1981, ‘Of Tense and Aspect: One Analysis’, in Tedeschi and Zaenen (eds.), pp. 13–30.
- Bennett, M. and B. Partee: 1978,Toward the Logic of Tense and Aspect in English, Indiana University Linguistics Club.
- Dahl, O.: 1981, ‘On the Definition of the Telic-Atelic (Bounded-Nonbounded) Distinction’, in Tedeschi and Zaenen (eds.),Syntax and Semantics: Volume 14,Tense and Aspect, Academic Press, New York.
- Davidson, D.: 1967, ‘The Logical Form of Action Sentences’, in N. Rescher (ed.),The Logic of Decision and Action, University of Pittsburgh Press. Reprinted in Davidson (1980).
- Dowty, D.: 1977, ‘Toward a Semantic Analysis of Verb Aspect and the English ‘Imperfective Paradox’’,Linguistics and Philosophy 1, 45–78.
- Dowty, D.: 1979,Word Meaning and Montague Grammar, D. Reidel, Boston.
- Dowty, D.: 1982, ‘Tenses, Time Adverbs, and Compositional Semantic Theory’,Linguistics and Philosophy 5, 23–55.
- Higginbotham, J.: 1983, ‘The Logic of Perceptual Reports: An Extensional Alternative to Situation Semantics’,Journal of Philosophy LXXX, 100–127.
- Kenny, A.: 1963,Action, Emotion and Will, Humanities Press, New York.
- Montague, R.: 1974, ‘The Proper Treatment of Quantification in Ordinary English’, in Formal Philosophy, Yale, New Haven.
- Mourelatos, A.: 1978, ‘Events, Processes, and States’,Linguistics and Philosophy 2, 415–34.
- Parsons, T.: 1980, ‘Modifiers and Quantifiers in Natural Language’,Canadian Journal of Philosophy, Supplementary Volume VI, 29–60.
- Parsons, T.: 1985, ‘Underlying Events in the Logical Analysis of English’, in LePore and McLaughlin (eds.),Actions and Events: Perspectives on the Philosophy of Donald Davidson, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Parsons, T.: in progress,Events in the Semantics of English.
- Partee, B.: 1976, ‘Some Transformational Extensions of Montague Grammar’, in Partee (ed.),Montague Grammar, Academic Press, New York.
- Ramsey, F. P.: 1927, ‘Facts and Propositions’, inThe Foundations of Mathematics, Littlefield, Adams & Co., Paterson, New Jersey, (1960).
- Reichenbach, H.: 1947,Elements of Symbolic Logic, Free Press, New York.
- Ritchie, G.: 1979, ‘Temporal Clauses in English’, de Gruyter, New York.
- Ryle, G.: 1949,The Concept of Mind, Barnes & Noble, London.
- Tedeschi, P.: 1981, ‘Some Evidence for a Branching-Futures Semantic Model’, in P. Tedeschi and A. Zaenen (eds.),Syntax and Semantics: Volume 14,Tense and Aspect, Academic Press, New York.
- Thomason, R.: 1976, ‘Some Extensions of Montague Grammar’ in Partee (ed.).
- Vendler, Z.: 1967,Linguistics in Philosophy, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York.
- Vlach, F.: 1981, ‘The Semantics of the Progressive’ in Tedeschi and Zaenen (eds.), pp. 271–92.
- Vlach, F.: 1983, ‘On Situation Semantics for Perception’,Synthese 54, 129–52.
- The progressive in English: Events, states and processes
Linguistics and Philosophy
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 213-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Terence Parsons (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of California Irvine, 92717, CA, USA