The prism-taper coupler for the excitation of single modes in optical transmission fibres
- J. E. Midwinter
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A coupler is described which allows the excitation of pure single guided fibre modes with a single mode laser. The coupler uses a prism and precision taper fibre end to access any of the fibre modes. The conditions for obtaining excitation of single modes are discussed and the technique for producing the tapers is described. In the first tests, an excitation efficiency of approximately −16 dB has been obtained.
- P. K. Tien, R. Ulrich andR. J. Martin,Appl. Phys. Lett. 14 (1969) 291–294.
- J. E. Midwinter,IEEE J. Quant. Elect. QE-6 (1970) 583–590.
- R. Ulrich,J. Opt. Soc. Am. 60 (1970) 1337–1350.
- J. E. Midwinter andM. H. Reeve,Opto-electronics 6 (1974) 411–416.
- W. Stewart, Topical Meeting on Optical Fibre Transmission, Williamsburg, Virginia, Jan. 7–9 (1975). Organized by the Optical Society of America.
- D. Gloge,Bell Syst. Tech. J. 52 (1973) 1563–1578.
- D. Marcuse,J. Opt. Soc. Am. 63 (1974) 1369–1371.
- D. Gloge,Appl. Optics 10 (1971) 2252–2258
- The prism-taper coupler for the excitation of single modes in optical transmission fibres
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 297-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- J. E. Midwinter (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Post Office Research Centre, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, Suffolk