Analysis of splice loss in single-mode fibres using a Gaussian field approximation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
By using a Gaussian field approximation to the fundamental mode in a single-mode fibre, a very simple formula is derived for the splice loss in the two fibres when transverse, longitudinal and angular misalignments exist simultaneously. It is shown that the effects of the three misalignments on the splice loss are more significant for step-index fibres than for parabolic-index fibres, and also that matching oil in the gap between the fibres is effective for the end separation, but produces a reverse effect for the tilt. Calculated coupling efficiency between step-index fibres is compared with the experimental data reported so far, and good agreement between them is observed.
- D. L. Bisbee,Bell Syst. Tech. J. 50 (1971) 3159–68.
- C. G. Someda,ibid 52 (1973) 583–96.
- J. S. Cook, W. L. Mammel andR. J. Grow,ibid 52 (1973) 1439–48.
- D. Marcuse,ibid 56 (1977) 703–18.
- Idem, J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 68 (1978) 103–09.
- W. A. Gambling andH. Matsumura,Opt. Quant. Elect. 10 (1978) 31–40.
- K. Petermann,ibid 9 (1977) 167–75.
- W. A. Gambling, H. Matsumura andC. M. Ragdale,Elect. Lett. 14 (1978) 491–03.
- W. A. Gambling, D. N. Payne andH. Matsumura,ibid 13 (1977) 139–40.
- T. I. Lukowski andF. P. Kapron,J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 67 (1977) 1185–87.
- S. Nemoto, G. L. Yip andG. W. Farnell,Appl. Opt. 14 (1975) 1543–48.
- H. Tsuchiya, IECE Paper of Tech. Group on Opt. and Quant. Elect.OQE73-61 (1973).
- Y. Murakami, I. Hatakeyama andH. Tsuchiya,Elect. Lett. 14 (1978) 277–78.
- Analysis of splice loss in single-mode fibres using a Gaussian field approximation
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 447-457
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors