The processing and static mechanical properties of metal fibre reinforced bioglass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The development of bioglass composites is presented. Stainless steel AlSl 316 L fibres are introduced into bioglass by immersion of premade porous fibre skeletons into molten bioglass. It is shown that this technique is simple and effective in obtaining metal fibre reinforced bioglass. Thermal shock, tensile tests and three-point bend tests all show a marked increase of strength of the composite over the parent glass and a substantial improvement of toughness.
- L. L. Hench andH. A. Paschall,J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Symp. 4 (1973) 25.
- A. E. Clark Jr, L. L. Hench andH. A. Paschall,J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 10 (1976) 161.
- B. A. Blencke, J. Broemer andK. K. Deutscher,ibid. 12 (1978) 307.
- J. Wilson, G. H. Piggot, F. J. Schoen andL. L. Hench,ibid. 12 (1978) 307., in press.
- J. Wilson, G. Merwin andL. L. Hench, unpublished work.
- D. C. Greenspan andL. L. Hench,J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Symp. 7 (1976) 503.
- P. Buscemi andL. L. Hench, in “An Investigation of Bonding Mechanisms of the Interface of a Prosthetic Material”, U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command Contract DAMD 17-76-C-6033, Report no. 7, 55–61 (1976).
- I. W. Donald andP. W. McMillan,J. Mater. Sci. 11 (1976) 949.
- E. D. Clark, Proceedings of the Conference on Advanced Materials and Composites, Cocoa Beach, Florida. January 1977.
- B. A. Boley andJ. H. Weiner, “Theory of Thermal Stresses”, (John Wiley Inc., New York, (1960).
- “Metals Handbook” 8th edn. (American Society for Metals, Metals Park, Ohio, 1967) p. 422.
- L. G. Housefield, MSc thesis, University of Florida (1972).
- P. Ducheyne, E. Aernoudt andP. De
- F. F. Lange, in “Annual Review of Materials Science” edited by R. A. Huggins, R. H. Bube and R. W. Roberts (Annual Reviews Inc., Palo Alto, California, 1974) p. 365.
- The processing and static mechanical properties of metal fibre reinforced bioglass
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 595-606
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors