The effect of fungicides on survival of the crayfish plague fungus, Aphanomyces astaci, Oomycetes, growing on fish scales
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Zoospores from the crayfish plague fungusAphanomyces astaci could germinate and growin vitro on scales ofSalmo salar.
The fungicidal activity of different compounds was tested against the fungus growing on fish scales as well as in lake water. Malachite green was the most effective fungicide, but scale mucus protected the fungus from this compound to some extent. For complete inhibition of spore germination in scale mucus 2 mg 1−1 was required compared to 1 mg 1−1 in lake water.
- Abrahams, D. & W.D. Brown. 1977. Evaluation of fungicides for Haliphthores milfordensis and their toxicity to juvenile European lobsters. Aquaculture 12: 31–40.
- Cline, T. & G. Post. 1972. Therapy for trout eggs infected with Saprolegnia. Prog. Fish. Cult. 34: 148–151.
- Roberts, R.J. & C.J. Shepard, 1974. Prevention and treatment of disease. In: Handbook of Trout and Salmon diseases, pp. 144–159. Fishing News (Books) Ltd., London and Tonbridge.
- Srivastava, G.C. & R.C. Srivastava. 1978. A note on the potential applicability of malchite green oxalate in combating fishmycosis. Mycopathologia 64: 169–171.
- Svensson, E. & T. Unestam. 1975. Differential induction of zoospore encystment and germination in Aphanomyces astaci, Oomycetes. Physiol. Plant. 35: 210–216.
- Söderhäll, K., E. Svensson & T. Unestam. 1978. Chitinase and protease activities in germinating zoospore cysts of a parasitic fungus, Aphanomyces astaci, Oomycetes. Mycopathologia 64: 9–11.
- Unestam, T. 1965. Studies on the crayfish plague fungus Aphanomyces astaci. I. Some factors affecting growth in vitro. Physiol. Plant. 18: 483–505.
- Willoughby, L.G. & A.D. Pickering. 1977. Viable Saprolegniaceae spores on the epidermis of the salmoid fish Salmo trutta and Salvelinus alpinus. Trans. Br. mycol. Soc. 68: 91–95.
- The effect of fungicides on survival of the crayfish plague fungus, Aphanomyces astaci, Oomycetes, growing on fish scales
Volume 72, Issue 3 , pp 131-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors