Time-budget methodology for research on aging
- K. Victor Ujimoto
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several aspects of time-budget methodology that are relevant to research on the activities of daily living by the aged are described. Most studies on the well-being of the elderly utilize data based on the number of activities, but the duration of the activities are not considered. This paper provides an overview of some of the salient research on time use studies and the elderly.
- AntonovskyA.: 1979, Health, Stress and Coping (Jossey-Bass, San Francisco).
- AltergottKaren: 1985, ‘Marriage, gender, and social relations in late life’, in Warren A.Paterson and JillQuadagno (eds.) Social Bonds in Later Life (Sage Publications, Berverly Hills), pp. 51–70.
- Clark, Susan M.: 1978, ‘Social involvement and social diversity: An examination of social contact and location sequences’, paper presented at the IX World Congress of Sociology, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Coelho, G. V., Hamburg, D. A. and Adams, J. E. (eds.) Coping and Adaptation (Basic Books, New York).
- CsikszentmihalyiM. and LarsonR.: 1984, Being Adolescent (Basic Books, New York).
- CullenIan and ElizabethPhelps: 1978, ‘Patterns of behavior and responses to the urban environment’, in WilliamMichelson (ed.), Public Policy in Temporal Perspectives (Mouton, The Hague), pp. 165–81.
- Elliott, David H.: 1978, ‘Constraints and sequences: elements of formal models of activity patterns’, paper presented at the IX World Congress of Sociology, Uppsala, Sweden.
- FooteNelson N.: 1961, ‘Methods for study of meaning in use of time’, in Robert W.Kleemeir (ed.) Aging and Leisure (Oxford University Press, New York), pp. 155–76.
- GolantStephen M.: 1984, ‘Factors influencing the nighttime activity of old persons in their community’, Journal of Gerontology 39, 4, 935–41.
- HarveyAndrew S.: 1978, ‘Discretionary time activities in context’, occasional paper no. 3, Regional and Urban Studies Centre, Dalhousie Universtiy, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- HarveyAndrew S., AlexanderSzalai, David H.Elliott, Philip, J.Stone, and Susan M.Clark: 1984, Time Budget Research, An ISSC Workbook in Comparative Analysis (Campus Verlag, Frankfurt).
- HerzogAnna Regula and Willard L.Rodgers: 1981, ‘The structure of subjective well-being in different age groups’, Journal of Gerontology 36, 4, 474–9.
- HookerKaren, and Deborah G.Ventis: 1984, ‘Work ethic, daily activities, and retirement satisfaction’, Journal of Gerontology 39, 4, 478–84.
- HoytDanny R., Marvin A.Kaiser, George R.Peters, and NicholasBabchuk: 1980, ‘Life satisfaction and activity theory: A multidimensional approach’, Journal of Gerontology 35, 6, 935–41.
- JusterF. Thomas, PaulCourant, Greg J.Duncan, John P.Robinson, and Frank P.Stafford: 1977, Time use in economic and social accounts. (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor).
- JusterF. Thomas and Frank P.Stafford: 1985, Time, Goods, and Well-Being (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor).
- LarsonR. and M.Czikszentmihalyi: 1983, ‘The experience sampling method’, in H.Reis (ed.), New Directions for Naturalistic Methods in the Behavioral Sciences (Jossey-Bass, San Francisco).
- LarsonReed, JiriZuzanek, RogerMannell: 1985, ‘Being alone versus being with people: Disengagement in the daily experience of older adults’, Journal of Gerontology 40, 3, 375–81.
- Leroy, X. and D. Deliege: 1978, ‘Time-budget of the Belgian physician nowadays and in future’ Paper presented at the IX World Congress of Sociology, Uppsala, Sweden.
- LittleVirginia C.: 1984, ‘An overview of research using the time-budget methodology to study age-related behaviour’, Aging and Society 4, 1, 3–20.
- McClellandKent A.: 1982, ‘Self-conception and life satisfaction: Integrating aged subculture and activity theory’, Journal of Gerontology 37, 6, 723–32.
- Michelson, William: 1984, ‘The empirical merger of objective and subjective aspects of daily life’, paper presented at the International Conference on Studies of Time Use (Helsinki, Finland).
- MossMiriam S. and M. PowellLawton: 1982, ‘Time budgets of older people: A window on four lifestyles’, Journal of Gerontology 37, 1, 115–23.
- RennerV. J. and BirrenJ. E.: 1980, ‘Stress: Physiological and psychological mechanisms’, in J. E.Birren and R. B.Sloane (eds.) Handbook of Mental Health and Aging (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliff, N.J.), pp. 310–31.
- RobinsonJohn P.: 1977, Changes in Americans' use of time: 1965–1975. (Communication Research Centre, Cleveland State University, Cleveland).
- RobinsonJohn P.: 1985, ‘The validity and reliability of diaries versus alternative time use measures’, in F.Thomas Juster and Frank P.Stafford (eds.) Time, Goods, and Well-Being (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor), pp. 33–62.
- SeleenDiane R.: 1982, ‘The congruence between actual and desired use of time by older adults: A predictor of life satisfaction’, The Gerontologist 22, 1, 95–9.
- SoumeraiStephen B. and JerryAvorn: 1983, ‘Perceived health, life satisfaction, and activity in urban elderly: A controlled study of the impact of part-time work’, Journal of Gerontology 38, 3, 356–62.
- SzalaiAlexander: 1972, The Use of Time (Mouton, The Hague).
- SzalaiAlexander: 1984, ‘The concept of time budget research’, in Andrew S.Harvey, AlexanderSzalai, David H.Elliott, Philip J.Stone, and Susan M.Clark (eds.) Time Budget Research, An ISSC Workbook in Comparative Analysis (Campus Verlag, Frankfurt).
- TeaffJ. D., M. P.Lawton, L.Nahemow, and D.Carlson: 1978, ‘Impact of age integration on the well-being of elderly tenants in public housing’, Journal of Gerontology 33, 1, 126–33.
- UjimotoK. Victor: 1985a, ‘The allocation of time to social, organizational, and leisure activities by aged Asian Canadians’, Tsukuba Journal of Sociology 9, 1 & 2, 56–68.
- Ujimoto, K. Victor: 1985b, ‘The allocation of time to social and leisure activities as social indicators for the integration of aged ethnic minorities’, Social Indicators Research 16.
- WindleyPaul G. and Rick J.Scheidt: 1983, ‘Service Utilization and activity participation among psychologically vulnerable and well elderly in rural small towns’, The Gerontologist 23, 3, 283–87.
- WongP. T. P. and G. T.Reker: 1984, ‘Coping and well-being in Caucasian and Chinese elderly’, Canadian Journal on Aging 3, 1, 23–32.
- Time-budget methodology for research on aging
Social Indicators Research
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 381-393
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sociology Department, University of Guelph, N1G 2W1, Guelph, Ontario, Canada