Effect of water vapor and nitrogen oxides upon the ozone layer
- Eigil Hesstvedt
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A theoretical meridional model of the O3 layer is presented. Two-dimensional transport by eddies and mean motion is considered together with photochemical reactions involving O, N, and H. The model is used to evaluate the effect of increased contents of H2O and NOx in the stratosphere. It is found that a doubling of stratospheric humidity will reduce the total amount of O3 by less than 1 %, while a doubling of NOx will result in an 18 % reduction for middle latitudes and summer. A 10 % increase in NOx will reduce the total O3 by about 2.8%. The relations between UV radiation and total O3 are described, in particular, for wavelengths of biological interest (290 to 320 nm). A 1% decrease in total O3 will result in a 2 % increase in erythemogenic UV radiation.
- Ackerman, M.: 1971, inMesospheric Models and Related Experiments (ed. by G. Fiocco), D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland, p. 149.
- Ackerman, M. and Muller, C.: 1972,Aeronomica Acta, A-No.106.
- Cole, A. E., Court, A., and Kantor, A. J.: 1965,Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments, (ed. by S. L. Valley), Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories, Bedford, Mass.
- Crutzen, P. J.: 1970,Quarterly J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 96, 320.
- Gudiksen, P. H., Fairhall, A. W., and Reed, R. J.: 1968,J. Geophys. Res. 73, 4461.
- Hesstvedt, E.: 1971,Proceedings of the Second Course of the International School of Atmospheric Physics, Erice (Italy), June 13–27, 1971 (ed. by F. Verniani).
- Johnston, H.: 1971,Science 173, 517.
- Nicolet, M.: 1970,Aeronomica Acta, A-No.79.
- Prabhakara, C.: 1963,Monthly Weather Rev. 91, 411.
- Reed, R. J. and German, K. E.: 1965,Monthly Weather Rev. 93, 313.
- Urbach, F.: 1969,The Biologic Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation (ed. by F. Urbach), Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Effect of water vapor and nitrogen oxides upon the ozone layer
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 49-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Eigil Hesstvedt (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway