Shearography: A novel and practical approach for nondestructive inspection
- Y. Y. Hung
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents an optical technique referred to as shearography for nondestructive inspection. Shearography is an interferometric method which allows full-field observation of surface displacement derivatives. It reveals flaws in materials by looking for flaw-induced strain anomalies. Both surface and interior flaws can be detected. Because of its numerous advantages, shearography is more practical than holography. The simplicity and the alleviation of vibration isolation requirement make shearography a practical approach for nondestructive testing in field/plant environments.
- Y. Y. Hung, Shearography: A new optical method for strain measurement and nondestructive testing,Opt. Eng. (May/June):391–395 (1982).
- Hung, Y. Y. (1974) A speckle-shearing interferometer. Opt. Commun. 11: pp. 732
- Hung, Y. Y., Durelli, A. J. (1979) Simultaneous measurement of three displacement derivatives using a multiple image shearing interferometric camera. J. Strain Anal. 14: pp. 81-88
- Hung, Y. Y., Hovanesian, J. D., Takezaki, J. (1988) A fringe carrier technique for unambiguous determination of fringe orders in shearography. Opt. Lasers Eng. 8: pp. 73-81
- Y. Y. Hung and J. D. Hovanesian, Shearography: A New Nondestructive Testing Method, Use of New Technology to Improved Mechanical Readiness, Reliability and Maintainability, Proceedings of the 40th Meeting of the Mechanical Failures Prevention Group, National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, Maryland, April 16–18, 1985.
- R. F. Anastasi, S. M. Serabian, R. J. Shuford, and D. K. Das-Gupta, Nondestructive detection of simulated delaminations in composite laminates by laser-speckle shearography,Exp. Tech. (June):28–31 (1987).
- L. A. Kersch, Laminate structure inspection, inHolographic Nondest. Testing, R. K. Erf, ed. (Academic Press, 1974).
- Shearography: A novel and practical approach for nondestructive inspection
Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 55-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- coherent optical technique
- speckle interferometry
- shearing interferometry
- strain measurement
- nondestructive testing
- composite testing
- tire testing
- crack detection
- Industry Sectors
- Y. Y. Hung (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Oakland University, 48309, Rochester, Michigan