Second-harmonic generation in poled films of nonlinear optical polymer composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The second-harmonic generation (SHG) has been measured for studying the molecular ordering and its relaxation process in poled states of two different nonlinear optical (NLO) polymer composites.p-Nitroaniline (pNA) and the azo dye Disperse Orange 3 (DO3) are uniformly dispersed in photopolymer matrices followed by poling. Two different composites made-up of 1 wt% of pNA and 2.5 wt% of DO3 are poled at 200 MV m-1 and 80 MV m-1, respectively. One of the second-order NLO coefficients,d 33, was found to be 0.27 pm V-1 for the pNA-doped film and 0.20 pm V-1 for the DO3-doped film. While for the latter the ratiod 33/d 33 (∼3.1) is consistent with the value of 3 in the low-field approximation, for the former the value of 3.5 indicates that higher-order effects of the poling field play a significant role in the NLO process. It is suggested that the SHG relaxation dynamics is also closely related to the UV absorption of the NLO molecules in a photopolymer matrix.
- P. N.Prasad andD. J.Williams,Introduction to Nonlinear Optical Effects in Molecules and Polymers (Wiley, New York, 1991).
- D. S. Chemla andJ. Zyss,ACS Symp. Ser. 233 (1983) chap. 1.
- P. N.Prasad andD. R.Ulrich,Nonlinear Optics and Electroactive Polymers (Plenum, New York, 1988).
- Y.Shuto, H.Takara, M.Mano andT.Kaino,Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) 2508.
- D.Hass, H.Yoon, T.Man, G.Cross, S.Mann andN.Parsons,Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 1147 (1989) 222.
- J. L.Ouder,J. Chem. Phys. 67 (1977) 446.
- N.Bloembergen andP. S.Pershan,Phys. Rev. Lett. 14 (1965) 1029.
- K. D.Singer, J. E.Sohn andS.Lalama,Appl. Phys. Lett. 49 (1986) 248.
- D. R. Robello, C. S. Willand, M. Scozzafava, A. Ulman andD. J. Williams,ACS Symp. Ser. 455 (1990) chap. II-7.
- J.Jerphagnon andS. K.Kurtz,J. Appl. Phys. 41 (1970) 1667.
- K. D.Singer, M. G.Kuzyk andJ. E.Sohn,J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 4 (1987) 968.
- W. M.Yunus andA. A.Rahman,Appl. Opt. 27 (1988) 3341.
- S. K.Kurtz, J.Jerphagnon andM. M.Choy,Landorlt-Boernstein Numerical Data and Functional Relationships in Science and Technology, vol. 11 (Springer, New York, 1979) p. 671.
- M.Eich, A.Sen, H.Looser, G. C.Bjorklund, J. D.Swalen, R.Twieg andD. Y.Yoon,J. Appl. Phys. 66 (1989) 2559.
- J. L.Ouder andD. S.Chemla,J. Chem. Phys. 66 (1977) 2664.
- Second-harmonic generation in poled films of nonlinear optical polymer composites
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 27, Issue 5 , pp 411-420
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors