The sunlit lunar surface
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Certain studies were made of the lunar surface based on measurements at visible and far infrared wavelengths obtained from a scan over the full Moon. The large number of data points available made it possible to refine the albedo statistics over the disk previously described by Sytinskaya (1953). The simultaneous measurements at the two wavelengths provided a factor for converting full Moon photometric brightness to bolometric albedo. The disk-averaged value of this parameter is consistent with previous photometric measurements. The brightness temperature statistics over the disk led to a replacement of the traditional cos1/6 θ law of temperature variation over the full Moon by an expression which is linear in cosθ.
- Hapke, B.: 1966,Astron. J. 71, 333.
- Harris, D. L.: 1961, inPlanets and Satellites (ed. by G. P. Kuiper and B. M. Middlehurst), University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 272–342.
- Lipskii, Y. N. and Shevchenko, V. V.: 1968, Report to the Symposium on Lunar and Planetary Physics, Kiev.
- Pettit, E. and Nicholson, S. B.: 1930,Astrophys. J. 71, 102.
- Rennilson, J. J., Holt, H. E., and Morris, E. C.: 1968,J. Opt. Soc. Am. 58, 747.
- Saari, J. M. and Shorthill, R. W.: 1967, ‘Isothermal and Isophotic Atlas of the Moon’, NASA Contract Report CR-855.
- Shorthill, R. W. and Saari, J. M.: 1965,Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 123, 722.
- Shorthill, R. W., Saari, J. M., Baird, F. E., and LeCompte, J. R.: 1969, ‘Photometric Properties of Selected Lunar Features’, NASA Contractor Report CR-1429.
- Sinton, W. M.: 1962, inPhysics and Astronomy of the Moon (ed. by Z. Kopal), Chap. 11, Academic Press, New York.
- Sytinskaya, N. N.: 1953,Astron. Zh. 30, 295.
- deVaucouleurs, G.: 1964,Icarus 3, 187.
- Wattson, R. B. and Danielson, R. E.: 1965,Astrophys. J. 142, 16.
- The sunlit lunar surface
Volume 5, Issue 1-2 , pp 161-178
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links