High-resolution radar maps of the lunar surface at 3.8-cm wavelength
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The entire earth-facing lunar surface has been mapped at a resolution of 2 km using the 3.8-cm radar of Haystack Observatory. The observations yield the distribution of relative radar backscattering efficiency with an accuracy of about 10% for both the polarized (primarily quasispecular or coherent) and depolarized (diffuse or incoherent) scattered components. The results show a variety of discrete radar features, many of which are correlated with craters or other features of optical photographs. Particular interest, however, attaches to those features with substantially different radio and optical contrasts. An anomaly near 63° is noted in the mean angular scattering law obtained from a summary of the radar data.
- Evans, J. V. and Hagfors, T.: 1971, inAdv. Astron. and Astrophys., Academic Press, New York and London, pp. 29–105.
- Moore, H. J. and Zisk, S. H.: 1973, ‘Calibration of Radar Data from Apollo 17 and Other Mission Results’, submitted forApollo 17 Preliminary Science Report, NASA; to be published.
- Pettengill, G. H. and Thompson, T. W.: 1968,Icarus 8, 457–471.
- Pettengill, G. H., Zisk, S. H., Thompson, T. W.: 1973,The Moon, this issue, p. 3.
- Pieters, C., McCord, T. B., Zisk, S. H., and Adams, J. B.: ‘Lunar Black Spots and the Nature of the Apollo 17 Landing Area’,J. Geophys. Res., to be published.
- Pollack, J. B. and Whitehill, L.: 1972,J. Geophys. Res. 77, 4289–4303.
- Thompson, T. W.: 1973,The Moon, this issue, p. 51.
- Tyler, G. L.: 1968,Nature 219, 1243–1244.
- Zisk, S. H. and Moore, H. J.: 1972,Apollo 16 Preliminary Science Report, NASA SP-315, Government Printing Office.
- Zisk, S. H., Carr, M. H., Masursky, H., Shorthill, R. W., and Thompson, T. W.: 1971,Science 173, 808–811.
- High-resolution radar maps of the lunar surface at 3.8-cm wavelength
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 17-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links