Nickel sulphide inclusions in glass: an example of microcracking induced by a volumetric expanding phase change
- M. V. Swain
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Microcracking about inclusions of nickel sulphide in soda-lime glass has been studied. These cracks are nucleated by the volumetric expansion that accompanies theα-β phase transformation in nickel sulphide. Theα-phase is metastable and, upon transformation to theβ-phase, is accompanied by a volumetric expansion of about 4%. A simple generalized fracture mechanical analysis of the cracking about such inclusions is developed. Firstly, crack initiation about an inclusion is considered; this is then extended to consider inclusions within a thermally tempered plate. The critical dimensions of the inclusion to initiate microcracking in an annealed specimen and to cause spontaneous fracture of a tempered plate are predicted. Observations of nickel sulphide inclusions in annealed and tempered specimens support the predictions. The implications of this work with regard to the addition of fine dispersions of zirconia to ceramics are pointed out.
- E. R. Ballantyne, CSIRO, Division of Building Research, Melbourne, Australia, Report 061-5 (1961).
- C. C. Hsiao,Fracture 3 (1978) 985.
- R. Wagner,Glastechn. Ber. 50 (1977) 296.
- D. Quiquampoix, private communication, 1978.
- R. W. Davidge andJ. T. Green,J. Mater. Sci. 3 (1968) 629.
- F. F. Lange, “Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics” Vol. 2, edited by R. C. Bradt, D. P. Hasselman and F. F. Lange (Plenum Press, New York, 1974) p. 599.
- A. G. Evans,J. Mater Sci. 9 (1974) 1145.
- B. R. Lawn andA. G. Evans,ibid. 12 (1977) 2195.
- B. R. Lawn andE. R. Fuller,ibid. 10 (1975) 2016.
- J. Selsing,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 44 (1961) 419.
- D. Weyl,Ber. Deut. Keram. Ges. 36 (1959) 319.
- G. C. Sih, “Handbook of Stress Intensity Factors” (Lehigh University Press, Lehigh, 1973).
- M. V. Swain, St. Gobain Industries, Aubervilliers, France, S.C.R. report 4390/78.
- St. Gobain Industries, Aubervilliers, France. Unpublished work.
- H. Tabuchi, Proceedings of the International Congress on Glass, Kyoto, 1974, Vol. 3, p. 54.
- F. F. Lange, “Fracture of Ceramics” Vol. 4, edited by R. C. Bradt, D. P. H. Hasselman and F. F. Lange (Plenum Press, New York, 1978) p. 789.
- N. Claussen,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 59 (1976) 49.
- Nickel sulphide inclusions in glass: an example of microcracking induced by a volumetric expanding phase change
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 151-158
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- M. V. Swain (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Saint Gobain Recherche, Aubervilliers, France