The formation, structure and crystallization of non-crystalline nickel produced by splat-quenching
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A non-crystalline phase has been formed in electron-transparent (0.1 to 0.5Μm thick) areas of splat-quenched foils of nickel. The positions in diffraction co-ordinates of the first two peaks and of a shoulder on the high-angle side of the second peak of the electron diffraction pattern agree closely with those for non-crystalline vapour-deposited Ni. The presence of the shoulder suggests that the structure is similar to that of dense random packed hard spheres, i.e. that it is amorphous rather than microcrystalline. The crystallization behaviour of the glassy phase studiedin situ in 1 MV electron microscope also supports this view. The crystallization temperature of about 150‡ C is unexpectedly high and suggests that stabilization by impurities (possibly up to 0.7 wt %) was occurring. The critical cooling rate for the formation of the glassy phase has been estimated from theories of homogeneous nucleation, crystal growth and transformation kinetics to be ∼1010 K sec−1 which is in satisfactory agreement with experimentally derived estimates of the maximum cooling rate in electron-transparent areas of foils.
- Klement, W., Duwez, P. (1960) Nature 187: pp. 869
- Ramachandrarao, P., Laridjani, M., Cahn, R.W. (1972) Z. Metallk. 63: pp. 43
- Davies, H. A., Hull, J. B. (1974) J. Mater. Sci. 9: pp. 707
- J. B. Hull andH. A. Davies, Presented at the International Conference on Rapidly Quenched Alloys, November 1975.
- Fujime, S (1967) Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 6: pp. 305
- Bosnell, J. R. (1969) Thin Solid Films 3: pp. 233
- Davies, L. B., Grundy, P. J. (1971) Phys. Stat. Sol. A8: pp. 189
- Bennett, M. R., Wright, J. G. (1972) Phys. Stat. Sol. A13: pp. 135
- Beyer, R. T., Ring, E. M. In: Beer, S.Z. eds. (1972) Liquid Metals — Physics and Chemistry. Dekker, New Yorkpp. 431
- Jones, H., Suryanarayana, C. (1973) J. Mater. Sci. 8: pp. 705
- Davies, H. A., Aucote, J., Hull, J. B. (1973) Nature-Phys. Sci. 246: pp. 13
- Duwez, P., Willens, R. H. (1963) Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 227: pp. 362
- C. H. Jansen, Ph.D. Thesis, MIT (1971).
- Waseda, Y., Suzuki, K., Tamaki, S., Takeuchi, S. (1970) Phys. Stat. Sol. 39: pp. 181
- J. L. Finney, Ph.D. Thesis, University of London (1968).
- Cargill, G. S. (1970) J. Appl. Phys. 41: pp. 12
- Giessen, B. C., Wagner, C. N. J. In: Beer, S.Z. eds. (1972) Liquid Metals — Physics and Chemistry. Dekker, New Yorkpp. 633
- P. J. Grundy, S. S. Nandra andA. Ali, presented at Intermag Conference 1975.
- Hansen, M. (1958) Constitution of Binary Alloys. McGraw-Hill, New York
- C. W. Haworth, private communication.
- Light, T. B. (1969) Phys. Rev. Letters 22: pp. 999
- Davies, H. A., Aucote, J., Hull, J. B. (1974) Scripta Met. 8: pp. 1179
- Davies, H. A. (1975) J. Non-Cryst. Solids 17: pp. 266
- Ruhl, R. C. (1967) Mat. Sci. Eng. 1: pp. 313
- Predecki, P., Mullendore, A. W., Grant, N. J. (1965) Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 233: pp. 1581
- Duwez, P. In: Rudman, P. S., Stringer, J., Jaffee, R.I. eds. (1967) Phase Stability in Metals and Alloys. McGraw-Hill, New Yorkpp. 523
- Burden, M. H., Jones, H. (1970) J. Inst. Metals 98: pp. 249
- Matyja, H., Giessen, B.C., Grant, N. J. (1968) J. Inst. Metals 96: pp. 30
- Turnbull, D. (1950) J. Appl. Phys. 21: pp. 1022
- Turnbull, D. (1974) J. Physique Supplement C-4: pp. 1
- Tamura, K., Endo, H. (1969) Phys. Letters 29A: pp. 52
- L. B. Davies andP. J. Grundy, private communication.
- Leung, P. K., Wright, J. G. (1974) Phil Mag. 30: pp. 995
- Turnbull, D. (1950) J. Chem. Phys. 18: pp. 769
- The formation, structure and crystallization of non-crystalline nickel produced by splat-quenching
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 215-223
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors