Melting behaviour and metastability of yttrium aluminium garnet (YAG) and YAlO3 determined by optical differential thermal analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The melting point of yttrium aluminium garnet (YAG), reinvestigated by optical differential thermal analysis (ODTA), was found to be 1940±7° C. Above this temperature YAG liquids are opaque, suggesting the presence of two immiscible liquids. In the composition range 10.0 to 47.5 mol% Y2O3, crystallization of the equilibrium phases can only occur in the presence of YAG nuclei; otherwise solidification of YAlO3 and Al2O3 will take place. A metastable phase diagram has been defined with a metastable eutectic at 23 mol% Y2O3-77 mol% Al2O3 and 1702±7° C. YAlO3 (perovskite) was found to melt incongruently with a peritectic temperature of 1916±7° C and a liquidus temperature of 1934±7° C. YAlO3 formed during metastable solidification transforms to YAG in the presence of Al2O3 at 1418±7° C. It is suggested that the metastability arises from the difficulty of the aluminium to attain four-fold co-ordination in the YAG structure.
- D. J. Viechnicki and F. Schmid, J. Crystal Growth 26 (1974) 162.
- D. J. Viechnicki and J. L. Caslavsky, Army Materials and Mechanics Research Center, AMMRC TR 78-7, February 1978. Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. (1979).
- N. A. Toropov, I. A. Bondar, F. Ya. Galadhov, Kh. S. Nikogosyan, and N. V. Vinogradova, Izv. Akad. Nauk. SSSR Ser. Khim., 7 (1969) 1158.
- M. Mizumo and T. Noguchi, Rep. Gov. Ind. Res. Inst. Nagoya 16 (1967) 171.
- I. Warshaw and R. Roy, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 42 (1959) 434.
- L. E. Olds and H. E. Otto, “Phase Diagrams of Ceramists”, edited by E. M. Levin, et al. (J. Amer. Cer. Soc., 1969) Fig. 311.
- J. S. Abell, J. R. Harris, B. Cockayne, and B. Lent, J. Mater. Sci. 9 (1974) 527.
- T. P. Jones, J. Aust. Ceram. Soc. 5 (1969) 41.
- S. J. Schneider and C. L. McDaniel, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stand. 71A (1967) 317.
- B. Cockayne and B. Lent, J. Crystal Growth, 46 (1979) 371.
- J. L. Caslavsky and D. J. Viechnicki, ibid 46 (1979) 601.
- Melting behaviour and metastability of yttrium aluminium garnet (YAG) and YAlO3 determined by optical differential thermal analysis
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 15, Issue 7 , pp 1709-1718
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors