Structural components in needle-cokes as studied by etching with chromic acid
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Structures within commercial calcined needle-cokes are characterized by optical microscopy to reveal optical texture and by scanning electron microscopy before and after etching with chromic acid solution at 400 to 423 K. The needle-cokes exhibit an optical texture of medium and coarse-grained mosaics, acicular flow domains and flow domains. The etching studies indicate that the acicular flow domains are made up of rolled and convoluted lamellae which etch to form laths (needle-like) ∼ 3 μm across. The mosaics appear when the rolled structures are viewed microscopically sectioned perpendicular to the lamellae. The acicular flow domains appear in longitudinal section. The etching of the flow domains shows that they have a sedimentary structure, 1 to 2 μm layer thickness, suggesting that mesophase coalesces within a layer but not between layers. A model is proposed to explain the origin and separation of structures in needle-cokes as created in the delayed coker.
- D. H. Stormont, Oil Gas J. 67 (1969) 75.
- C. B. Scott, Chem. Ind. (1967) 1124.
- H. W. Nelson, Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 9 (1970) 176.
- R. R. Jakob, Hydrocarbon Process. (1971) 132.
- V. Hekler and H. E. Brooks, Pet. Refiner 38 (1959) 169.
- F. L. Shea, US Patent 2,775,549 (1956).
- R. C. Hackley, US Patent 2,922,755 (1960).
- Great Lakes Corporation, US Patent 1,194,985 (1970).
- M. Janik and M. Kaloc, Hutn. Listy (1980) 378.
- E. Kurami, Sekiyu Gakkai Shi 16 (1973) 366.
- W. L. Nelson, Oil Gas J. 76 (1978) 68.
- K. E. Rose, Hydrocarbon Process. (1971) 85.
- N. P. Lieberman, Oil Gas J. 78 (1980) 15, 71.
- J. D. Brooks and G. H. Taylor, Carbon 3 (1965) 185.
- Idem, in “Chemistry and Physics of Carbon” Vol. 4 edited by P. L. Walker Jr (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1968) p. 243.
- H. Honda, H. Kimura, Y. Sanada, S. Sugawara and T. Furuta, Carbon 8 (1970) 181.
- H. Marsh and P. L. Walker Jr, in “Chemistry and Physics of Carbon” Vol. 15 edited by P. L. Walker Jr and P. A. Thrower (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1979), p. 299.
- R. Balduhn and E. Fitzer, Carbon 18 (1980) 155.
- I. C. Lewis and L. S. Singer in “Chemistry and Physics of Carbon” Vol. 17 edited by P. L. Walker Jr and P. A. Thrower (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1981) p. 1.
- H. Marsh and J. Smith in “Analytical Methods for Coal and Coal Products” Vol. 2 edited by Clarence Karr Jr (Academic Press, New York, 1978) p. 371.
- J. L. White, G. Johnson and J. E. Zimmer, Extended Abstracts of 12th Biennial Conference on Carbon, Pittsburgh, 1975 (American Carbon Society, 1975) p. 492.
- J. E. Zimmer and J. L. White, Mol Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 38 (1977) 177.
- M. Buechler, C. B. Ng and J. L. White, Extended Abstracts of the 15th Biennial Conference on Carbon, Pennsylvania State University, 1979 (American Carbon Society, 1979) p. 433.
- Idem, Extended Abstracts of 15th Biennial Conference on Carbon, Philadelphia, 1981 (American Carbon Society, 1981) p. 182.
- J. E. Zimmer and J. L. White, Advan. Liq. Cryst. 5 (1982) 157.
- J. L. White, Proceedings of International Symposium on Carbon, New Processing and New Applications, Toyohashi, 1982 (Kagaku Gijutsu-sha, 1982) p. 149.
- J. E. Zimmer, ibid. p. 131.
- E. Fitzer and C. Holley, Extended Abstracts of 16th Biennial Conference on Carbon, San Diego, 1983 (American Carbon Society, 1983) p. 104.
- H. Tanaka and Y. Yamasaki, Reprints, Carbon '80, Baden-Baden, 1980 Deutsche Keramischen Gesellschaft, p. 397.
- H. Murat, A. T. Miyazaki, H. Hiraoka, I. Koide and S. Hiraga Proceedings of International Symposium on Carbon, New Processing and New Applications, Toyohashi, 1982 (Kagaku Gijutshusha, 1982) p. 543.
- W. Migitaka, Y. Tashiro and M. Iwasa, ibid. p. 553.
- V. Markovich, H. Marsh and S. Ragan, Extended Abstracts of the 15th Biennial Conference on Carbon, Philadelphia, 1981 (American Carbon Society, 1981) p. 492.
- H. Marsh, M. Forrest and L. A. Pacheco, Fuel 60 (1981) 423.
- V. Markovic and H. Marsh, J. Microsc. 132 (1983) 345.
- A. F. Balfour, H. E. Blayden, A. H. Carter and H. L. Riley, J. Soc. Chem. Ind. 57 (1938) 1.
- H. Marsh, Fuel 50 (1971) 280.
- M. Oberlin and J. Mering, Carbon 1 (1964) 471.
- V. Markovic and H. Marsh, J. Mater. Sci. 19 (1984) 3301.
- Structural components in needle-cokes as studied by etching with chromic acid
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 19, Issue 10 , pp 3287-3300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Materials Science - 170, Boris Kidric Institute, Vinca, PO Box 522, 11001, Beograd, Yugoslavia
- 2. Northern Carbon Research Laboratories, School of Chemistry, Bedson Building, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK