The microstructure of extruded Fe-Al
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Five FeAl alloys, whose compositions span the range 34 to 51 at. % Al, were extruded at 1273 K, re-extruded at 1023 K and their deformation structures examined by transmission electron microscopy. The incidence of <1 1 1> slip, compared with <001> slip, was found to increase as Fe-Al became more iron-rich, confirming previous results, in a similar study: some of the <1 1 1> dislocations were found to be present in the form of dipoles. In the most aluminium-rich alloy square <0 0 1> prismatic dislocation loops, planar defects and FeAl2 particles were observed.
- Y. Umakoshi and M. Yamagauchi, Phil. Mag. A 44 (1980) 711.
- M. G. Mendiratta, H.-M. Kim and H. A. Lip-Sitt, Metall. Trans. 15A (1984) 395.
- I. Baker and D. J. Gaydosh, Mater. Sci. Eng. 96 (1987) 147.
- D. Weber, M. Meutain, D. Paris, A. Fordeux and P. Lesbats, J. Physique 38 (1977) 7.
- B. Schmidt, P. Nagpal and I. Baker, Proceedings MRS, 131 (1989) 755.
- I. Baker and D. J. Gaydosh, Phys. Status Solidi. 96 (1986) 185.
- D. I. Potter, Mater. Sci. Eng. 5 (1970) 201.
- P. B. Hirsch, A. Howie, R. B. Nicholson, D. W. Pashley and M. J. Whelan, in “Electron Microscopy of Thin Crystals”, (Krieger, Malabar, Florida, 1977) p. 178.
- D. L. Yaney, A. R. Pelton and W. D. Nix, J. Mater. Sci. 21 (1986) 2083.
- G. Thomas and M. J. Goringe, in “Transmission Electron Microscopy of Materials”, (Wiley, New York, 1979), p. 157.
- I. L. Ray, R. C. Crawford and D. J. H. Cockayne, Phil. Mag. 21 (1970) 1027.
- J. P. Hirth and J. Lothe, in “Theory of Dislocations” (Wiley, New York, 1982), p. 86.
- M. Crimp and I. Baker, unpublished research.
- A. Ball and R. E. Smallman, Acta Metall. 14 (1966) 1517.
- T. C. Tisone, G. W. Marshall and J. O. Brittain, J. App. Phys. 39 (1968) 3714.
- G. W. Marshall and J. O. Brittain, Metall. Trans. 6A (1975) 921.
- Idem., ibid. 7A (1976) 101.
- S. V. Rinnovatore and N. Brown, Trans. AIME 239 (1967) 225.
- S. G. Cupchalk and N. Brown, Acta Metall. 15 (1967) 847.
- A. Ball, Phil. Mag. 20 (1969) 113.
- The microstructure of extruded Fe-Al
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 24, Issue 12 , pp 4246-4252
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors