An ESR study on the photoreactivity of tio2 pigments
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The photoreactivity of commercial TiO2 pigments has been studied by monitoring the generation of radicals at the TiO2- water interface upon illumination with ultraviolet light. The ESR spin-trapping technique has been employed, using 5,5-dimethyl-1-pyrroline-1-oxide (DMPO) as spin trap. In illuminated TiO2 dispersions the only radical species identified has been the OH. The amount of radicals generated was found to depend upon the surface properties of the pigment, such as impurities and surface treatments, and upon the oxygen concentration in the slurry. A feasible mechanism for radical generation, involving O2 adsorption is proposed. The initial rate of radical generation has been found to be in good agreement with other methods commonly used to characterize the photostability of paints.
- H. G. Voltz, G. Kampf and M. G. Fitzky, “10th Fatipec Congress Book” (Verlag Chemie Gmbh, Weinheim, Germany, 1970) p. 107.
- Idem, Farbe und Lack 78 (1972) 1037.
- J. B. Goodenough, in “Progress in Solid State Chemistry”, Vol. 5, edited by H. Reiss (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1971) p. 344.
- M. A. Butler and D. S. Ginley, J. Mater. Sci. 15 (1980) 1.
- E. Borgarello, J. Kiwi, E. Pelizzetti, M. Visca and M. Gratzel, Nature 289 (1981) 158.
- T. Kawai and T. Sakata, Chem. Phys. Lett. 72 (1980) 87.
- H. Reiche and A. J. Bard, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 101 (1979) 3127.
- T. Inoue, A. Fujishima, S. Konishi and K. Honda, Nature 277 (1979) 637.
- W. Hughes, “10th Fatipec Congress Book” (Verlag Chemie Gmbh, Weinheim, Germany, 1970) p. 67.
- H. Van Damme and W. K. Hall, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 101 (1979) 4373.
- R. D. Iyengar, M. Codell, J. S. Karra and J. Turkevich, ibid. 88 (1966) 5055.
- R. I. Bickley and F. S. Stone, J. Cat. 31 (1973) 389.
- E. G. Janzen, in “Free Radicals in Biology”, Vol. 4, edited by W. A. Pryor (Academic Press, London, 1979).
- V. E. Zubarev, V. N. Belevskii and L. T. Bugaenko, Uspekhi Khimii 48 (1979) 1361.
- F. Garbassi, E. Mello Ceresa and M. Visca, J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 1680.
- “Kronos Guide”, published by Kronos Titanium Companies (Kolnische Verlag, Gmbh, Germany, 1968) p. 106.
- J. R. Harbour, V. Chow and J. R. Bolton, Can. J. Chem. 52 (1974) 3549.
- J. R. Harbour and M. L. Hair, J. Phys. Chem. 83 (1979) 652.
- F. P. Sargent and E. M. Gardy, Can. J. Chem. 54 (1976) 275.
- J. R. Harbour and M. L. Hair, J. Phys. Chem. 81 (1977) 1791.
- Idem, ibid. 82 (1978) 1397.
- C. D. Jaeger and A. J. Bard, ibid. 83 (1979) 3146.
- G. Munuera, V. Rives-Arnou and A. Saucedo, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday I 75 (1979) 736.
- E. G. Janzen and J. I-Ping Liu, J. Magnet. Res. 9 (1973) 510.
- An ESR study on the photoreactivity of tio2 pigments
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 289-294
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Istituto G. Donegani S.p.A., Via G. Fauser, 4-28100, Novara, Italy
- 2. Istituto di Chimica Fisica, Università di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
- 3. Centro Richerche SIBIT, P.zza Donegani 5/6, 15047, Spinetta Marengo, Italy